Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I got a 13" core i5 a few days ago and I want to clean the screen. The first day I got my MacBook Air I noticed that it gets smudges easily, I wiped the screen with a wet paper towel, and using another one to dry it off. I did this at the end of everyday, unless it didn't have any smudges. Then today I did the same routine and :eek: the paper towel started smudging on my screen. It looks horrible. I'm using the same kind of paper towels but the smudges from the paper towels just kept remaining. The the screen have a finish the wipes off after a few times of wiping it? I used to have a Gateway all in one touchscreen and returned it because it had issues, I had a towel from it that was used to wipe the screen. Should I use the gateway towel? I'm about 1 hour away at a friend's house so I can't get it. Should I buy an LCD cleaning kit for my macbook air or just use the gateway towel? I will be back at my house on Saturday Afternoon, I will tell you guys the result of the towel. What LCD cleaning kits on eBay for under $25 do you guys recommend?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd use an LCD cleaner with a microfiber cloth (similar to what is sold for eyeglasses). A paper towel can scratch the anti-glare coating.

Reactions: Saturn007

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I use a simple generic microfiber cloth and LCD cleaner.

I buy a 25 pack of Microfiber clothes from Home Depot for less than 10 dollars. The exact same cloths they charge a fortune for in the LCD cleaner kits.

You can buy LCD cleaner without the fancy labels from here.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10902&cs_id=1090201&p_id=6278&seq=1&format=2

EDIT: Here is a link to the type of cloth to look for at Home Depot.
http://www.quickie.com/Public/Products/Default.aspx?UID=&ProductCategoryId=81&ProductId=212

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I used to wear glasses, I don't wear them anymore but I'll try to find one of the cloths. Do you think I already scratched the anti glare coating or finish? Also does gateway towel work? I don't know if it is microfiber but it is red with little holes in it. It was use to clean the touchscreen of my all in one gateway. (sorry if I had to bring PCs up)

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I used to wear glasses, I don't wear them anymore but I'll try to find one of the cloths. Do you think I already scratched the anti glare coating or finish? Also does gateway towel work? I don't know if it is microfiber but it is red with little holes in it. It was use to clean the touchscreen of my all in one gateway. (sorry if I had to bring PCs up)

With just water I doubt you damaged it. As long as you didn't soak it.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
This is one of my bigger disappointments after using the MacBook Pros for so long. No glass means you have to be careful with smudges and abrasive clothes for the Air.

foulmouthedleon

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Annapolis, MD
Use the same stuff you use to clean eyeglasses with plus a microfiber cloth. I've used that for years on a variety of screens and have never had a problem.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I use my towel, post-shower, when its still moist, just before I throw it in the wash. It works great, plus I get all the smudges off the keys, trackpad, etc. If I get some fibers from the towel leftover on the screen, I dust them off with a clean t-shirt before I put it on. Voila, super clean. No need to waste money on microfiber cloths and solutions.

Reactions: delsoul

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
With just water I doubt you damaged it. As long as you didn't soak it.

I used a paper towel while it was pretty wet, does that count as soaking it?

Use the same stuff you use to clean eyeglasses with plus a microfiber cloth. I've used that for years on a variety of screens and have never had a problem.

Yeah, I just found out my friend use to wear glasses so he got me one of the cloth and it works great, my screen is great and clear now. He threw the liquid thing away because one of the kids drank some of it :p.

Camera lens cleaning will do great on these!

I have a DSLR camera and I'll try that too.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I used a paper towel while it was pretty wet, does that count as soaking it?

You would know if it was to wet. You would probably end up with water behind the screen. And then the screen would die.

So I doubt you hurt it.

Get some cheap LCD cleaner like I linked to above for times when it is to dirty for water and you should be fine.

Microfiber is the best for cleaning screens but don't pay for the expensive kits just find it somewhere like Home Depot or Lowes.

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
You would know if it was to wet. You would probably end up with water behind the screen. And then the screen would die.

So I doubt you hurt it.

Get some cheap LCD cleaner like I linked to above for times when it is to dirty for water and you should be fine.

Microfiber is the best for cleaning screens but don't pay for the expensive kits just find it somewhere like Home Depot or Lowes.

The microfiber is starting to fail me. Its leaving smudges just like the paper towels. I have it damp, so that you can't squeeze anymore water out of it. I manage to smooth it out using my hand. But I can't do that every time.

jeffgao

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
The microfiber is starting to fail me. Its leaving smudges just like the paper towels. I have it damp, so that you can't squeeze anymore water out of it. I manage to smooth it out using my hand. But I can't do that every time.

You need to wash the microfiber cloth with soap periodically, perhaps once a week. Otherwise the oil from your hand, etc is accumulating on the cloth and causes the smudging.

Reactions: Saturn007

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
You need to wash the microfiber cloth with soap periodically, perhaps once a week. Otherwise the oil from your hand, etc is accumulating on the cloth and causes the smudging.

would the soap harm the screen?

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Paper towels are too rough. Use microfiber and iKlear. iKlear is great stuff. The first application may not look great, but apply a couple of coats and dry with a clean dry microfiber cloth and there will be no smudges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.