Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hishat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
United Kingdom
Hi i have a ipod 3rd generation, i would like to restore....However the only way to restore according to itunes is via firewire? is there a way around this??

Any response will be appreciated

Regards.

hishat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
United Kingdom
its the 3rd GEN. with the 4 buttons at the top, i tried the steps and it didnt work unfortunately.

any other suggestions??

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I couldn't find the page from apple for the 3rd gen.
Usually just holding the menu and play button together for 5-10 seconds does a factory restore.
From what I've read online, the 3rd gen should only sync to iTunes using a USB cable. Is there a way to try that?

EDIT: Found the original user manual. It says to toggle the hold switch before holding the menu and play button. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPodDockConnectorUserGuide.PDF

Last edited:

himselforama

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
i experienced the same problem and solved it that way:

1. connect the ipod to your itunes by usb.
2. deselect "enable use as harddrive"
3. restore using usb without getting told otherwise.

cheers.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I couldn't find the page from apple for the 3rd gen.
Usually just holding the menu and play button together for 5-10 seconds does a factory restore.
From what I've read online, the 3rd gen should only sync to iTunes using a USB cable. Is there a way to try that?

EDIT: Found the original user manual. It says to toggle the hold switch before holding the menu and play button. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPodDockConnectorUserGuide.PDF

Umm... no. That in no way does a factory restore. What you're describing basically does a forced reboot, or a Reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.