Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

an13743

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Can anyone help me out? I had an iPad 2 I got in the beginning of April with light leak problems and thanks to MacRumors I found out it was far from an isolated incident, so I decided to wait it out to do the swap. I finally did the swap today. It was pulled from the back in a wrapper, but I didn't see the brown magical box. I was assured it was a new product.

My question is when I got home to look up the serial number, I came across this site: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html and it said my ipad was refurbished due to the serial number starting with "DK" as the factory ID. I would like to know definitively if that's true. However, I could find any other evidence that DK meant refurb.

Does anyone have any insight on what DK means? The first part of the serial number is DKVG.

Thanks for your help.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
apple always gives refurbs unless they are out of stock. they are 100% apple tested and certified. I'm guessing you misunderstood the term new. it will also still be warrantied. you can go to apples site a double check your warranty info.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Can anyone help me out? I had an iPad 2 I got in the beginning of April with light leak problems and thanks to MacRumors I found out it was far from an isolated incident, so I decided to wait it out to do the swap. I finally did the swap today. It was pulled from the back in a wrapper, but I didn't see the brown magical box. I was assured it was a new product.

My question is when I got home to look up the serial number, I came across this site: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html and it said my ipad was refurbished due to the serial number starting with "DK" as the factory ID. I would like to know definitively if that's true. However, I could find any other evidence that DK meant refurb.

Does anyone have any insight on what DK means? The first part of the serial number is DKVG.

Thanks for your help.

whats the next letter? and is there any problems with it?

an13743

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
@Macdude2010 DKVG

It's fine, I just specifically asked if it was new and was told yes by the genius bar. I am more concerned if I am going to sell it in the future it would have less value than the NEW iPad I had. It still has a little light leak, but definitely better than the one I originally had.

talia262

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
CO
apple always gives refurbs unless they are out of stock. they are 100% apple tested and certified. I'm guessing you misunderstood the term new. it will also still be warrantied. you can go to apples site a double check your warranty info.

what? So if I buy a brand new iPad2 and find it has a defect, Apple will replace it with a refurbished one only?

I returned an iMac twice due to very yellow screens to the Apple store this past year. Are you saying that I walked out with a refurbished one?

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
what? So if I buy a brand new iPad2 and find it has a defect, Apple will replace it with a refurbished one only?

I returned an iMac twice due to very yellow screens to the Apple store this past year. Are you saying that I walked out with a refurbished one?

I believe if you walked out of your local Apple store with a replacement that do not come with its original retail package still sealed or the Apple product is not taken directly out of an unopened retail package by a Genius & given to you, then it's most likely a refurb. Otherwise, it will be a brand new item, for the most part.

Of course, I could be wrong. Someone please correct me if that's the case. :eek:

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
I believe if you walked out of your local Apple store with a replacement that do not come with its original retail package still sealed or the Apple product is not taken directly out of an unopened retail package by a Genius & given to you, then it's most likely a refurb. Otherwise, it will be a brand new item, for the most part.

Of course, I could be wrong. Someone please correct me if that's the case. :eek:

FWIW, I had my ATT iPhone 4 replaced after 2 weeks of launch. They pulled the replacement out of a plane white box. Genius tech said the replacements aren't in retail boxes as those boxes cost more than the plain white box.

There is no way Apple had time to collect bad phones, refurb them, and distribute them back out in the 2 week after launch window. So ... for what its worth ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.