Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Any tweaks/hacks to get the scroll arrows back in Lion? My mum wants the scrolling arrows back on her iMac... So, are there any tweaks or hacks to bring back the scroll arrows?

jtimleck

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Baltimore, MD
This is SO ANNOYING... (and the "just use the scrolling option" people can be quiet please)... What the scroll arrows allowed you is PRECISION. When I work in Word, for example, I need to be PRECISE going from line to line, not clicking the in the scroll area and "hoping" I hit the right point. And using the up and down arrows is inconsistent from app to app. This one was an utter fail.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
No "tweaks" or "hacks" needed - have you bothered to visit System Preferences>General>Show Scroll Bars>Always?

Where abouts in that page does it give you the option of getting the arrows back ?

I can see options for scrollbars but not the arrows

mkg

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
SCROLL ARROW Work-around for LION !!!!!!!

I've been miserable since I upgraded to Lion because of this scroll arrows that they forgot to put in. My wrists and arms were really stressed. :eek: Yesterday, while in a training class for ePubs, I found out about a possible workaround, a software called "Pathfinder 5" which gives you an entirely different finder altogether. You can access it here:

http://cocoatech.com/

Version 5.8.1 works for Lion.

IT is going to download the trial version for me and I'll let you know how it goes. I watched the video on their site and the additional capabilities for this download look great. It gives you dual windows, tabs, drop/drag stacks. Apparently it does even more than what's shown there. I can't wait to try it. I'll repost again once I've had a chance to get used to it.

I couldn't figure out how to post this on Apple's site. I'm wondering if they "closed" the conversations [have never posted there before] so if you know how, please spread the word.

jpvento

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
use the up and down arrows on the mac keyboard

use the up and down arrows on the mac keyboard. in most cases you will get more precision, than just trying to drag the scrollbar button.

Erikthefinn

macrumors newbie
Any tweaks/hacks to get the scroll arrows back in Lion?

Yes. Lion can have the scroll arrows put back into its windows. I have done it. I have also done it with with some cool effects thrown in for fun. It is done by modifying the Artfile. Use artFileTool. Google is your friend here. The path to the Artfile is: System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A

Remember to make a backup of the Artfile first. You must log out & back in to see the complete changes.

Btw, Path Finder also supports the 'pinch to zoom' of icons in its windows so you will have that feature back with Path Finder too!

Erikthefinn

macrumors newbie
Regarding using this with Mavericks

For Mavericks, (10.9) The ArtFile is very different as it is for each release of OS X. Therefore, you are kind of 'back to the drawing board' so to say.

You need to manually edit the various parts that correspond to the Scroll Bars in Mavericks with artFileTool.

Then copy the ArtFile to : System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A in the Mavericks installation and boot into Mavericks to see the effect it has there.

It is very tedious, but also very worthwhile.

neuropulse

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Yes. Lion can have the scroll arrows put back into its windows. I have done it. I have also done it with with some cool effects thrown in for fun. It is done by modifying the Artfile. Use artFileTool. Google is your friend here. The path to the Artfile is: System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A

Remember to make a backup of the Artfile first. You must log out & back in to see the complete changes.

Btw, Path Finder also supports the 'pinch to zoom' of icons in its windows so you will have that feature back with Path Finder too!

Erikthefinn, isn't Artfile a graphics file? How can editing a graphics file add new functionality? Are you certain this adds functioning toolbar arrows to the scrollbars?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.