Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is expected to hold a press conference in the coming weeks to introduce its fall lineup for the iPhone and iPod touch. Most of the rumors have been focused on the next iPhone revision, and there has been very little information about the next-generation iPod touch.

MacRumors has received information indicating that the next iPod touch revision will be a very minor change, with the primary addition being the introduction of a new white model. Only minor changes are expected for the existing hardware, with the addition of an oleophobic coating for the display and a revised ambient light sensor seemingly being the main differences. Otherwise, we expect the models to be nearly identical to the current fourth-generation iPod touch model.

Our information confirms previous reports by Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who had indicated that there would be few, if any, distinguishable changes from last year's iPod touch model.

Leaked white iPod touch screen installed on black fourth-gen iPod touch, courtesy of iPatch iPods. Production model expected to have white home button.
White parts for the iPod touch leaked into the supply chain back in July, offering the first suggestion of the imminent introduction of the white iPod touch but with no major case changes. As shown above, these white iPod touch screens could be installed onto the existing fourth-generation iPod touches.

This news would conflict with ambitious reports of 3G-enabled iPod touches this year, and also extinguish speculation that the tapered iPhone 5 case design might actually have represented the fifth-generation iPod touch.

The new models are expected to be announced alongside the iPhone in the first week of October with availability in the middle of the month. The iPod nano is also expected to get a minor revision at the same time.

Other reports have pinpointed dates in the first or second week of October for the actual announcement date. We've heard similar whispers, but suspect the date has been a moving target. Finally, we have also heard independently that the Golden Master of iOS 5 is targeted for September 23rd, lining up with the iCloud data reset.

Article Link: Apple to Release a White iPod Touch with Minor Changes in October

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Who wants to be Apple is waiting for the Back 2 School promo to end before sending out invites ?

Isn't that how it went the previous years for the iPod event ?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Who wants to be Apple is waiting for the Back 2 School promo to end before sending out invites ?

I thought the event was immediately after (1 or 2 days) the Back to school promotion, not when the invites are sent. Maybe this year they will send them out tomorrow or sometime today.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
if there is a home button on the touch, does it mean there will be the same button on the iPhone? Or will apple use a wider home button to differentiate the models?

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I'd prefer to have a white touch than iPhone. I'd consider getting one, but it seems silly to have one while I have an iPhone 4. I suppose I just want a shiny new toy.

punkromance

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
A tiny upgrade wouldn't really surprise me that much. Apple have often disappointed with the iPod Touch updates. My 4th gen never felt all that fast compared with the iPhone 4, and the camera we were all hoping for was an insult, but make it what people are asking for and it would no doubt just eat into iPhone sales.

gjan

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
i don't care if the new ipod touch looks different or has some super dooper hardware in it. i just need an ipod touch with 128 gb! seriously. i know i could get a classic one, but i also want the touch features. is it too much to ask for?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Frequently but not always. There have been years when they've announced new iPod models before the expiration of the B2S promo and then made the new iPod models ineligible.

Not even a capacity increase? There really needs to be a 128GB option. I'm sure Apple wants to get the capacity high enough to justify killing the Classic.

If Apple wanted to kill the Classic it would, just as it did the XServe. Apple probably sells just enough classics to make it worth it's while to keep a production line open. But you are right a 128GB iPod touch would be nice, but probably too expensive still since high capacity flash RAM prices are still too high for Apple to it's typical markup. Also there is question as to whether makers could supply Apple with enough, fast enough, and whether Apple would want to use those in the Touch or a next gen iPad.

Last edited:

davjaxn

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011

Apple has, in the past, announced and released for sale new iPods during the Back To Sool promo. They simply excluded the newly released iPods from the promotion. But being that this year the BTS promo is not a free iPod, I am not sure the promo has anything to do with the relasese of new iPods. More likely it is a shift for Holiday gifts- releasing them in late October/early November.

The only problem I see with releasing new iPods (and even more so iPhones) so late in the year for Holiday time is how difficult it will be to find one for the first few weeks Or months (iPhone 5, anyway). If the iPhone 4 release and subsequent rarity is any barometer, will likely be a while before most people can get there hands on a new iPhone, missing the holiday gift giving season completely.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Apple has, in the past, announced and released for sale new iPods during the Back To Sool promo. They simply excluded the newly released iPods from the promotion. But being that this year the BTS promo is not a free iPod, I am not sure the promo has anything to do with the relasese of new iPods. More likely it is a shift for Holiday gifts- releasing them in late October/early November.

The only problem I see with releasing new iPods (and even more so iPhones) so late in the year for Holiday time is how difficult it will be to find one for the first few weeks Or months (iPhone 5, anyway). If the iPhone 4 release and subsequent rarity is any barometer, will likely be a while before most people can get there hands on a new iPhone, missing the holiday gift giving season completely.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. It's too close to the holiday shopping madness. The iPhone-4 and iPad-2 took forever to catch up with the demand, and given the crazy hype that surrounds the iPhone-5, I'm sure MANY people will be left disappointed this holiday season due to scarcity.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Somehow i doubt that this is true. JUST a white ipod? Nah.

I think it'll get more than that. A better camera for one. That was the number one complaint about the previous gen...and I don't think painting it white will be enough to disway people of that criticism. Seriously. Apple knows that. I expect it to get at least the 5 mega pixel camera of the iphone 4.

I also think it gets the A5 chip to help it run iOS 5 and all the goodies.

Lastly, i still think the 3G ipod rumor has a good chance of being true. Especially with the release of the iCloud. Always being connected to the internet is a big part of that experience. Not saying it WILL happen...but it makes sense. More practical than just a white paint job. IMHO. :)

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
okay I think I missed something. So when is the new line of ipods supposed to be released? I really need an ipod and almost purchased one today. I have been waiting on the new line since early August! I would really like a Nano but the Nano needs to at least go up to 32 GB 16GB is nothing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.