Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
So been using ios5 for quite some time and this has always baffled me. When you enter an app, clear the badge count, it does not clear the notification in notification center. When you go into notification center, clear the notification it does not clear the badge.

Anyone think this is madness? Basically two separate systems, that don't communicate with one another.... Tempted to just disable badges all together at this point. Is there any way to fix this, is this just a "beta" bug, or is it best to go either one or another?

haulis

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
So been using ios5 for quite some time and this has always baffled me. When you enter an app, clear the badge count, it does not clear the notification in notification center. When you go into notification center, clear the notification it does not clear the badge.

Anyone think this is madness? Basically two separate systems, that don't communicate with one another.... Tempted to just disable badges all together at this point. Is there any way to fix this, is this just a "beta" bug, or is it best to go either one or another?

I just sent myself an email and it behaved the way you are wanting it to. I'm guessing that apps will need to be written with this in mind for it to work as it seems that first party apps are working but third party apps are not.

edit: iOS 5 GM

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York

Absolutely agree. Noticed right away, back in June. I think we just have to deal with it for a while till Apple finds a way to work the old system outa the picture. There are still a few "gaps" in the iOS 5 notification system, I say we give apple time to have it out in the public and eventually have these issues worked out, hopefully.

It's okay, but should be fixed. Not a bug, I say, just a loophole.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Hm, that's a very valid point. I hope they fix that. You should definitely submit this is in one of those Apple feedback forms. I wish I had iOS 5, but don't want to tinker with a iTunes beta right now. I'll wait the extra week.

gianthobbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Hm, that's a very valid point. I hope they fix that. You should definitely submit this is in one of those Apple feedback forms. I wish I had iOS 5, but don't want to tinker with a iTunes beta right now. I'll wait the extra week.

I am sure they are well aware of the fact. Their native apps (phone, sms) don't clear badges either so its not a matter of 3rd party developers getting up to speed. There is a toggle to turn off badges and this is what I have done for all apps. Notification center is far superior way to handle notifications so saying good bye to bubbles (which were annoying always).

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Well when you clear it in notification center, you haven't technically dealt with the notification (for example you cleared an SMS but you never replied to it) so the badge is still there.

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
Well when you clear it in notification center, you haven't technically dealt with the notification (for example you cleared an SMS but you never replied to it) so the badge is still there.

Exactly, I think it makes sense the way it is but a lot of people don't. If you get 2 texts from the same person and clear it from the notification center, that doesn't necessarily mean you actually read both texts, so why should the badge go away? The way the badges work is like a flag that sets things as unread, so until you actually go into the app it's not going to go away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.