Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsquared2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I’ve tried to activate 3 different iCloud accounts from my iPad (iOS 5 GM) trying the Mail to get work - https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13481717
And I seem to have hit a wall. No more accounts can be added. My iPad says: "The maximum number of free accounts have been activated on this iPad". I did not see any documentation limiting the number of accounts I could setup from my iPad.
Does Apple limit your device by serial number, track it?
Is there any way to remove an account from a serial number?
And what if I want to sell my device, new owner also won’t be able to add new account?

Reactions: k_moka

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
I guess it's like how they limited the free 'find my iphone' feature on the 4th gen iOS devices.

do you mean you actually have 3 apple ID accounts added to the phone now? if so remove one, in the way an apple ID is supposed to work you are supposed to only have one which is used for everything, therefore you would only get one @me.com email, so the three limit is to stop abuse from people who don't have an iOS5 device or lion.

dsquared2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I guess it's like how they limited the free 'find my iphone' feature on the 4th gen iOS devices.

do you mean you actually have 3 apple ID accounts added to the phone now? if so remove one, in the way an apple ID is supposed to work you are supposed to only have one which is used for everything, therefore you would only get one @me.com email, so the three limit is to stop abuse from people who don't have an iOS5 device or lion.

Yes, they limit MobileMe/iCloud account numbers added to one device and 'find my iphone' is one of the features.
No, it's just impossible to use 3 accounts at the same time on iPad. I've added them one by one. I hoped Mail client to work on any of them. I've added first one, but Mail haven't work, so I deleted it and added second but no luck... I did that because some people say they have Mail client works properly their iOS 5 GM devices and others like me unfortunately don't.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Figured I'd bump this as I've run into the same issue. I finally determined I want to use my old Apple ID (the wife and I both have our company email setup). We use hers as our "joint" accout for purchasing apps, and I want to use mine for my iCloud setup.

I wound up using her's for my first iCloud setup, then, without realizing the setup limit, I setup two different @me.com accounts (I was just experimenting with the setup, and different account names).

Now I'm getting the "The maximum number of free accounts have been activated on this iPad". I don't want/need the two @me.com accounts and I've removed them from the iPad, but from my research it sounds like the device gets registered upstream with Apple[?] I see the two accounts still have active AppleIDs (I'm still able to login to the ID manager and iCloud with both).

Any solution beyond contacting support?

Thanks!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Solved this myself after two calls and a chat to Apple.

I simply created an iCloud instance on the wife's iPhone, then deleted it (then reactivated hers). Once it was created, I was able to connect to it via the iPad.

I suppose that decrements hers by one, but no sweat, she's setup, I'm setup, both with our preferred AppleIDs. :)

S.Forsythe

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2012
Please Help...

I am new to the Apple Community. I lucked out and found a few months old iPod Touch 4g mint for sale on Craigslist for 40 bucks from a 17 year old kid. However, apparently he had already used his limit of free accounts as well and I don't have another Apple product to be able to create the icloud storage business. I hope this hasn't already been explained elsewhere... and if it has, I apologize... but I called the 800 Apple number and they had little to no information to offer. I actually found out about the "fix" using another apple product from your forums. So, please help if possible... if anyone knows of any other way to set up the initial iCloud account when dealing with the "maximum number of free accounts have been activated on the device error"??? Thank you :eek:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am new to the Apple Community. I lucked out and found a few months old iPod Touch 4g mint for sale on Craigslist for 40 bucks from a 17 year old kid. However, apparently he had already used his limit of free accounts as well and I don't have another Apple product to be able to create the icloud storage business.

I'd suggest that if you're anywhere near an Apple store, just go in there and I'm sure they'd let you use a computer in the store to do this. I'm not sure if you'd need to make a genius appointment or not to do it.

js0608

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Im trying to get into an ipad that the limit has been exceeded but I dont know what the origional account are that were set up on it. I dont understand how you resolved this issue. Can you explain this more clearly. I dont know any of te original accounts that were set up on the ipad. Does this make it impossible to do?

any assistance is much apprciated!
J

Solved this myself after two calls and a chat to Apple.

I simply created an iCloud instance on the wife's iPhone, then deleted it (then reactivated hers). Once it was created, I was able to connect to it via the iPad.

I suppose that decrements hers by one, but no sweat, she's setup, I'm setup, both with our preferred AppleIDs. :)

olbap08

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Heeeelllppp

Im trying to get into an ipad that the limit has been exceeded but I dont know what the origional account are that were set up on it. I dont understand how you resolved this issue. Can you explain this more clearly. I dont know any of te original accounts that were set up on the ipad. Does this make it impossible to do?

any assistance is much apprciated!
J

Did u find a way to solve this issue? i have the same problem with an lphone 4... i dont know any thing about the other accounts. help please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.