Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAL8116

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Florida
I got iMessage working, but is their a way to toggle between the 2 or must I turn off iMessage to do so to only use text? I couldn't find anything to answer my question. Any help would be appreciated.

carbonfly

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
If you are texting someone who has iMessage setup then it will automagically use iMessage and not your texts. If you text someone without iMessage then it will send a text. Simple. It just works.

Why would you want to change it?

SAL8116

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Florida
If you are texting someone who has iMessage setup then it will automagically use iMessage and not your texts. If you text someone without iMessage then it will send a text. Simple. It just works.

I agree it works. I was just wondering if their was a way to toggle.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I've asked this previously, but haven't received a response yet.

Has anyone with Verizon tested iMessage to see what happens when they're on a call and someone with iOS 5 sends them a message? Does the system automatically recognize that the message is undeliverable and revert to using text while on a call? If so, what's the delay?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

because it doesn't do a good job of it

when you send someone an iMessage say at 12PM when they have data/wifi, and then send another at 2PM when they don't have wifi/data, it will still send an iMessage instead of checking the server to see if the person is available.

if the message doesn't send within 5 minutes, then it will send as a text but i had to turn 'send as text if iMessage is not available' because i'm sending iMessages outside of my country, and if the iMessage doesn't go through i'd get dinged $0.50 per text.

this causes headache for my friends/family in Canada because if they're not available on iMessage, then i would like to send them a text message instead but i CAN'T because iMessage is selected in the message. so what i have to do is go into settings and toggle "send as text message" to on just for that message, then toggle it back off.

****in stupid.. you should be able to choose whether or not to send as an iMessage or text message. perhaps an option when you hold down the send button

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
because it doesn't do a good job of it

when you send someone an iMessage say at 12PM when they have data/wifi, and then send another at 2PM when they don't have wifi/data, it will still send an iMessage instead of checking the server to see if the person is available.

if the message doesn't send within 5 minutes, then it will send as a text but i had to turn 'send as text if iMessage is not available' because i'm sending iMessages outside of my country, and if the iMessage doesn't go through i'd get dinged $0.50 per text.

this causes headache for my friends/family in Canada because if they're not available on iMessage, then i would like to send them a text message instead but i CAN'T because iMessage is selected in the message. so what i have to do is go into settings and toggle "send as text message" to on just for that message, then toggle it back off.

****in stupid.. you should be able to choose whether or not to send as an iMessage or text message. perhaps an option when you hold down the send button

I've had issues when sending a message to someone it tries iMessage even though they're not using iMessage. If I don't see it deliver within 5-10 seconds I resend it as text. You can do so by holding the actual message and a pop up shows that says something like "resend as text".

SAL8116

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Florida
I've tried both texting and imessaging tonight and both have worked flawlessly. For the original iMessage it took a few moments to recognize but has been seamless since.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I've had issues when sending a message to someone it tries iMessage even though they're not using iMessage. If I don't see it deliver within 5-10 seconds I resend it as text. You can do so by holding the actual message and a pop up shows that says something like "resend as text".

does this only work when the iMessage doesn't go through?

veganamanda

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
Ok, so here is my situation. I start a conversation iphone to cell phone. Then that person sent me a message from iMessage, it's shows up in the same conversation on my iPhone. Then I send her a message back and it automatically sends to iMessage. Problem is she's in between messages put her iPad to sleep and left the house. She doesn't get my message for 9 hours.

Does "unavailable" only mean "off"? Because she never shuts her iPad off, and I have no way of knowing whether she'll get the message when I sent via iMessage. I don't want to shut it off though, because I have friends with iPhones that I want to use it.

Jimbo135

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Ok, so here is my situation. I start a conversation iphone to cell phone. Then that person sent me a message from iMessage, it's shows up in the same conversation on my iPhone. Then I send her a message back and it automatically sends to iMessage. Problem is she's in between messages put her iPad to sleep and left the house. She doesn't get my message for 9 hours.

Does "unavailable" only mean "off"? Because she never shuts her iPad off, and I have no way of knowing whether she'll get the message when I sent via iMessage. I don't want to shut it off though, because I have friends with iPhones that I want to use it.

That's my problem, my girlfriend has a regular cell phone and an iPad, she may only be on her iPad for an hour a day and during that time we can chat on there, but of she leaves her iPad on all day does it become my responsibility to turn off iMessage for the rest of the time?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
200+

I must have sent about 200+ imessage today, and find it works VERY fast, on 3g or wifi, no problems. I'm loving it for the majority of texting I do which I would have normally used textfree for.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
i dont get this whole i message thing- if i have someone in my contacts and have their phone number..now i have to ask them for their email address, type it in and then the message .. ?

and then what happens next time? do i need to tell if use his phone number or emaii?

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
What I'm waiting for is for the Carriers to figure a way to alter their data plans as people circumvent text plans.

chrisu91

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Ontario, Canada
You ONLY need to use someone's email address if you are sending a message to an iPad or iPod touch. iPhone will work fine with just a phone number.

Almeuit

macrumors regular
May 25, 2011
i dont get this whole i message thing- if i have someone in my contacts and have their phone number..now i have to ask them for their email address, type it in and then the message .. ?

and then what happens next time? do i need to tell if use his phone number or emaii?

Its simple. Text like normal .. if they have a iphone 4 or iphone 4 S with iOS 5 and iMessage on it will pick it up automatically and you will text with iMessage. If its someone without one of these well ... then it will be a text.

The hint on what its using is in the place where you type the text BEFORE you type ... also iMessage will be a blue send button and a normal text will be a green send button

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
You ONLY need to use someone's email address if you are sending a message to an iPad or iPod touch. iPhone will work fine with just a phone number.

ok.. puzzled look.. but then how does it know if to send as imessage or text?

so i have to ask if the person has an ipad ?

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Its simple. Text like normal .. if they have a iphone 4 or iphone 4 S with iOS 5 and iMessage on it will pick it up automatically and you will text with iMessage. If its someone without one of these well ... then it will be a text.

The hint on what its using is in the place where you type the text BEFORE you type ... also iMessage will be a blue send button and a normal text will be a green send button

i must be realy really dumb..

Almeuit

macrumors regular
May 25, 2011
i must be realy really dumb..

Its all new :). Like i said text everyone by number like normal (or email for iPad 2 / iPod's). If the send button is green .. its a normal text ... if its blue ... its iMessage.

It takes no work on your part to send an iMessage. If they have iOS 5 with the iMessage feature on and you do to .. it will auto-detect and use iMessage.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
No. It will be auto as they must have iOS 5.

ugh .. but how is it auto matic if i need to use one for their ipad and theirt # for other stuff?

i'm starting to get so frustrated.. of course would prolly be better if i had ios 5 on my phone.. (long story).. can i install it on a 4 thats not activated?

Almeuit

macrumors regular
May 25, 2011
ugh .. but how is it auto matic if i need to use one for their ipad and theirt # for other stuff?

i'm starting to get so frustrated.. of course would prolly be better if i had ios 5 on my phone.. (long story).. can i install it on a 4 thats not activated?

Sigh. Ok look its really really easy.

ALL iMessage users must have iOS 5 on both ends (you and person your texting). Feature must be on for both ends (you and person your texting) and it will AUTO use iMessage.

iPad 2 + iPod = email address to text. Why? They do NOT have phone numbers since they are not phones. Text the email address (JUST LIKE A PHONE NUMBER) and if they have iOS 5 ... auto iMessage.

iPhone = Text number like any phone for years. It will use iMessage if they meet the criteria.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Sigh. Ok look its really really easy.

ALL iMessage users must have iOS 5 on both ends (you and person your texting). Feature must be on for both ends (you and person your texting) and it will AUTO use iMessage.

iPad 2 + iPod = email address to text. Why? They do NOT have phone numbers since they are not phones. Text the email address (JUST LIKE A PHONE NUMBER) and if they have iOS 5 ... auto iMessage.

iPhone = Text number like any phone for years. It will use iMessage if they meet the criteria.

so it will know to send as im or text? even tho i send to same person with same phone number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.