Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helloimD4NNY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I plugged in my 4S to my computer(both my 4S and iTunes are up to date) and selected the sync over wi-fi option and applied it yet my 4S wasn't detected under my devices. I restarted my MBP and 4S yet it's still undetected. My iTunes detects m iP4 though. Help?

helloimD4NNY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
It is. It's saying the sync will resume when _________'s MacBook Pro is available. Also my iTunes remote isn't working with my MBP's iTunes either.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I plugged in my 4S to my computer(both my 4S and iTunes are up to date) and selected the sync over wi-fi option and applied it yet my 4S wasn't detected under my devices. I restarted my MBP and 4S yet it's still undetected. My iTunes detects m iP4 though. Help?

You say the iPhone is not being detected under devices but that you selected the "Sync over Wi-Fi" setting which can only be done from the device settings in iTunes.

In iTunes in the device settings: Summary > Options > Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi. Click apply and it should be good to go.

If, in fact, iTunes is not recognizing the 4S even after restarting both the phone and the MBP you might try a hard reset but it sounds more like a hardware problem.

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
I'm having similar problems. I connect with USB, select sync over WiFi. It then detects my phone over WiFi (USB is disconnected), and I initiate a Sync manually. It starts to backup, but then, the phone disappears from the devices column, and the message on my phone says that it will resume sync when the computer is detected again.

After about a min, the phone again appears in iTunes, and restarts the sync process, and again, the same thing happens. The phone disappears under the devices list, and it stops syncing.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

This may sound like a silly question but I take it you have Wi-Fi enabled on your phone.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
i'm on Windows, this is what worked for me:

Props to Fatboy71 for the following:
I'm on Windows.

I went into Services and looked for the service called APPLE MOBILE DEVICE. I then right clicked on it and choose RESTART from the menu. Since doing this I've been able to wirelessly sync again on both the iPad and iPhone. Perhaps the APPLE MOBILE DEVICE had crashed or stopped working for some reason?

Mine will sync now but comes back with an error on the PC "itunes cannot sync apps because the apps installed cannot be determined"

Resolved (via apple discussion board)
i went to device manager (control panel - view by icons - device manager) then right clicked my pcs name and clicked "scan for hardware changes" i then restarted itunes and everything iss working

stewie1

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
wifi syncing is hit or miss with me. when it stops working, I need to sync via USB in order to get it working again.

The error message I most recently saw said: "the iphone could not by synced. An unknown error occurred (-50)"

Getting the error message with both my iPad and Iphone, so I think this is an iTunes issue.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: wi-fi sync issues

My wife had problems with her new iPhone 4s refusing to wi-fi sync too. Usually, the option is just grayed-out so it can't even be selected on the phone.

She even went so far as to get her phone exchanged at the Apple store for another one, after AppleCare couldn't get it working for her over the phone either.

Oddly, this is on the same LAN network and same (Apple Airport Extreme) wi-fi router where wi-fi sync is working fine with our iPad.

Well, now this afternoon, it suddenly started working for her, and she can't figure out what possibly changed! So I'd definitely say this seems to be a "hit or miss" issue that Apple can possibly fix in a software update.

It didn't help in our situation, but I also read where some of the developers having problems with wi-fi sync had some luck by hard-coding a different DNS server in their network settings, rather than accepting the default handed out via DHCP from their router.

Twiddles

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
Wifi enabled but not connected

If your iPhone is disappearing from the device list when you unplug (not eject, all devices disappear when ejected), then your likely not connected to a wifi network when you disconnected your iPhone.

If you disconnect or become disconnected from your wifi network and try and wifi sync (using the Sync Now button), your phone may disappear from the device list and you will get an error message (usually something like Sync will resume when "X" is available. Eventually your Sync Now button will grey out after it trys to sync but can't because of no connection.

If your iPhone reconnects to the network your ability to sync may be restored or it may "Look for X" but not find it. My GUESS on the reason it cannot find your computer is that it has a different IP than when it originally was connected and so it cant sync. Reconnecting via USB to your computer with wifi connected to your iPhone should allow you to begin using wifi sync again. Hope that helps :)

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
i'm on Windows, this is what worked for me:

Props to Fatboy71 for the following:
I'm on Windows.

I went into Services and looked for the service called APPLE MOBILE DEVICE. I then right clicked on it and choose RESTART from the menu. Since doing this I've been able to wirelessly sync again on both the iPad and iPhone. Perhaps the APPLE MOBILE DEVICE had crashed or stopped working for some reason?

Mine will sync now but comes back with an error on the PC "itunes cannot sync apps because the apps installed cannot be determined"

Resolved (via apple discussion board)
i went to device manager (control panel - view by icons - device manager) then right clicked my pcs name and clicked "scan for hardware changes" i then restarted itunes and everything iss working

And this, my friends, is why I prefer Mac OS X. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.