Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kakiscos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Hi! I recently got iOS 5 on my itouch and upgraded to itunes10.5. Now when I try to put on album art, it shows up on itunes but not on my ipod(which is the important part) prior to updating to iOS5 and updating itunes, everything was smooth and really easy. ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

chrispfeiffer21

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
London, United Kingdom
Hey there

I think I have the same problem but only if I sort by artists on my iPad. If I sort by albums, all the artwork displays. I can't figure out what exactly is causing it though. I have a feeling its due to the way that the music is sorted.

Chris :)

kakiscos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
album artwork not showing up on ipod, trying to change artist info and doesn't appear on ipod as well...updating to ios5 and itunes 10.5 really messed me up..regret it..i hope they come out with an update soon because this is really annoying

c5brown

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Some of my Album Artwork has disappeared from Ipod. All is showing in Itunes, I tried to get album artwork in itunes and resynch, some came back, but most that were missing in Ipod are still missing. I might try to simulate updating info in Itunes then trying to sync again and see if it picks up that info is changed and adds back the Artwork. Not sure if it only recognizes Artwork it has in the "Icloud" and not Artwork that has been matched outside of Itunes.

kakiscos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
going to "get info" doesn't work..im guessing its a problem with itunes 10.5..i hope they update it soon

leeleses

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
Hopefully this will help someone else.

I wanted to post this to try to help other people out there who are frustrated with the Album Art and other iTunes issues. This information builds on things I learned in past iTunes versions, but this is mostly about iTunes 10.5.1, and iOS 5.0.1. I ran in to all these problems after I updated iTunes and the iPod, and a BIG mistake I made is I have not been keeping up with backing up iTunes. I had three problems, I was missing songs, I was missing album art, and I had a problem with one of my apps I just updated. I had to find a way to find an earlier version of that app, Snaplink Mobile, and then revert to back to it. But that's another issue that doesn't affect most people, so back to the music issues. I'm not saying this will fix everyone's situations, but this will probably work for most of us. I read all the posts from people who lost all their album art. I had to do the below and 2-3 syncs before I saw most of my art back.

First, I had to find a way to get ALL the music off of both iTunes and the iPod. I can't emphasize enough what a mistake it is to reset the iPod or iTunes to factory settings before you try everything else! There were 3 videos I brought that only existed on the iPod after I reset iTunes, and if I had reset both the iPod and iTunes before thinking, I would have lost them. So, what happened was, it is not that clear in iTunes 10.5, you have to go to the iPod tab, then the music tab, and uncheck the box that says "sync music", then at the bottom hit apply. This does not erase your music, it just removes it from iTunes. Then on the iPod, version 5.0.1, I had to go to Settings, then General, then Usage, then Music, and then there's a hidden delete button for the music. Under "all music," sweep your finger across the right side of the all music bar, and the hidden delete button will appear.

Then, it took 2-3 sync's to finally get both the iPod and the iTunes with no music. Then, I re-checked "sync music" on iTunes and on sync, all my music was back on the iPod. Then on iTunes, I clicked "consolidate library" and it copies (it does not move) all your music in to the iTunes music folder in one place. Now all my music was back, but still a lot of art issues, so on to that.

If you use Google Images, you can find a LOT of missing album art, a lot of it is on Amazon, and other sources. You want images that are square, and somewhere between 300 x 300 and 500 x 500, ideally. Then, I use Microsoft Paint sometimes to edit the album covers if I want to change something small about the way they appear. Then put all the art in a folder in the same place. Of course, you can also run "find artwork" in iTunes to find most of your stuff.

Now, a key thing to know is in the iPod, the album cover you see is pulled from track 1 of that music! If the album art you see in iTunes is being pulled from a different track in the album, it will NOT appear in the iPod in your album list. Databases are funny things, you have to know exactly what you're doing to work on them! So, what you need to do is figure out where the album art you want for an album is at. Use "get info", and find the album art you want for an album, and then right click and "copy" it. Or, bring it up in Microsoft Paint, hit select all, and hit "copy." Once you have that image, you want to make sure it is loaded for ALL tracks in that album in iTUnes. As many have said, doing one track at a time, using "get info" is maddening and time consuming! Fortunately, there are some shortcuts! Once you have the album cover copied, there are several methods that work to get it on the entire album, all tracks. One is, to type in the search bar on iTunes until only the album you want to work on is showing on the screen. Then you can use "select all" to highlight all the tracks in the album at the same time. I had a few instances where this method alone would not bring up just the one album, so select all will not help in that case. But fortunately, you can go through all the tracks on the album you want to work on, holding the "control" button down on the keyboard while you click multiple tracks. This allows you to select manually more than one track. Now, right click on all the highlighted tracks and hit "get info." In the box that comes up, go to where the album cover is and right click and select "paste." NOTE: You will see the check box next to the album cover come on with a check, but you will NOT see the album cover you just pasted until after you apply this. When you hit apply, you will get a message that says "do you want to edit multiple items at once?" Say yes. It will then load the right album cover for all the tracks in the album, and fix a LOT of problems you're having.

Another thing you may have to do for some or all of your albums is on the same right click menu that "get info" is in, there's another one "view in windows explorer." You may have to select all the tracks using select all, hit properties, and make sure the files are NOT set to "read only." That causes a lot of problems too. It's also possible to right click on your music folder, and make sure all files and folders are not set to read only, but all at the same time.

So, it would be SO great if Apple would be better at getting this type of information out in a clear an complete fashion, but that does not seem to happen.

And, always back up your iTunes!

Lee

Dunko27

macrumors newbie
Part of a compilation?

I've had a problem where all of an artists albums weren't showing up when "Artist" was selected. They were visible in "Album" and "Songs" though. Did a few things as suggested in this thread, but they didn't work for me.

Had another close look at the Info screen and noticed that the "Part of a compilation" check box was checked for the songs that didn't show up as albums. Tried to do a multiple change, however the compilation check box does not appear in the multiple update screen. Went through and unchecked the box for each song (there were a couple for the artist that was not checked, but this was for only 3 or 4 songs across 2 albums—the 2 albums that were showing up in the artist list), synced, all the albums showed up under the artist. All fixed.:cool:

I set up a smart playlist to check for compilations (there is a compilation rule in the Smart Playlist edit box). This showed other songs that were marked as compilations. Looked for one of the artists in the artist list and he wasn't there. The only Justin Timberlake song I have is from the compilation Songs For Japan. I had JT in the Artist field, but Various Artists in the Album Artist field in Get Info. Changed Album Artist to JT and he showed up in the Artist list with the appropriate album cover (after syncing).

Hope this extra information helps someone out. :)

KD :apple:

kakiscos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
i still can't figure it out..and supposedly with the new itunes10.6 it was going to fix it...can somebody please help me out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.