Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, Sony Pictures acquired the movie rights to Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs, seeking to adapt the story for the big screen. Sony was viewed as being a good fit for the film, as the studio's Columbia Pictures arm had successfully transitioned the story of Facebook to film with last year's release of The Social Network.

sorkin_social_network.jpg
Aaron Sorkin
The writer behind The Social Network was Aaron Sorkin, who also gained fame for his work on A Few Good Men, The West Wing, and most recently Moneyball. And according to The Los Angeles Times, Sony is once again trying to pair up with Sorkin for the Steve Jobs screenplay.
Sony is moving forward with a Steve Jobs movie based on Isaacson's book. And one of the writers being courted by producers to pen his story, according to a person who was briefed on the project but not authorized to speak about it publicly, is Aaron Sorkin, Hollywood's chronicler-in-chief of the complicated visionary.

The "Moneyball" and "Social Network" writer was said by the person to be considering the prospect but had made no decisions. Sony and a Sorkin representative declined to comment on the writer's potential involvement.
Sorkin and Jobs actually did have a bit of history with each other, as Jobs had tried to convince Sorkin to write a film for Pixar, a proposal Sorkin declined because he didn't "think [he could] make inanimate objects talk."
STEVE: Once you make them talk they won't be inanimate.

ME: The truth is I don't know how to tell those stories. I have a young kid who loves Pixar movies and she'll turn cartwheels if I tell her I'm writing one and I don't want to disappoint her by writing the only bad movie in the history of Pixar.
A timeline for the potential Jobs movie is not yet firmed up, and casting is obviously still a ways off. Former ER star Noah Wyle, who played Jobs in the 1999 made-for-TV film Pirates of Silicon Valley, has expressed interest in reprising the role.
Are you kidding? I would give my eye teeth, in the heartbeat, of a New York minute. There are certain roles you wish you could tackle over and over again. That's one for me.
Isaacson's Steve Jobs experienced very strong pre-orders and early sales, and is headed toward the top of Amazon's list top-selling books for 2011, currently ranked #12.

Article Link: Sony Courting Aaron Sorkin to Write Screenplay for Steve Jobs Movie?

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
This is one of those times when I hope everything false into place to make for a great film. And I do hope Noah Wyle gets cast as Jobs again. That would be epic!

On another note, where the hell is Pirates of Silicon Valley on Blu-ray?!?! o_O

jbass

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2006
If this movie does move forward, nobody *but* Sorkin should be allowed to write the screenplay.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I would love it if this happened.

Pirates of Silicon Valley was awesome, but a movie that just focused on Steve's story would be even better. I'm about 10% through his biography, and I can actually imagine everything so far being able to be transitioned to the screen.

Wonder how they'd adapt it though? A story like Pirates of Silicon Valley, or as a narrated sequence, with most of the people who were interviewed speaking their parts and appearing on the big screen as they do so?

I'd prefer it as a story.. act out what folk said Steve was like.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
umm... book - ok... such topic on every forum - ok... cancelled android 4 or something presentation - ok... lots of other stuff - ok... but a movie... thats too much for a person. take compassion on him!

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
While I did like The Social Network, I don't like that picture of the scriptwriter. His smile looks... wrong. Something about it says "Hey, I'm all for screwing people out of their money!"

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Sorkin and Jobs actually did have a bit of history with each other, as Jobs had tried to convince Sorkin to write a film for Pixar, a proposal Sorkin declined because he didn't "think [he could] make inanimate objects talk."
Quote:

STEVE: Once you make them talk they won't be inanimate.

Classic Jobs. Amazing that he knew everyone else's business better than even they did, and could see possibilities where, for some reason, no one else saw them.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
that's so weird, refusing Jobs to write a story for Pixar, but end up writing a story about Jobs.
:eek:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am really not a fan of the movies listed as his referenced work. Whomever does this story really needs to work closely with Issiacson, and any others who actually knew Steve Jobs personally.

Honestly If I had a choice, I would choose to pay for the audio recordings Issiacson has of Jobs, over any movie anybody would make.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Okay. It's officially getting stupid now. But I guess they'll keep milking the cash cow until everyone has lost interest.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I don’t want to disappoint her by writing the only bad movie in the history of Pixar.
Note to Sorkin:
It's cool if you write a Pixar movie now. With the release of Cars 2, if your Pixar script/movie tanks it won't be the ONLY one.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I hope Sony won't replace Apple products with sony products and pcs in this movie (they stuff The Social Network with sony product placements).

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
This is one of those times when I hope everything false into place to make for a great film. And I do hope Noah Wyle gets cast as Jobs again. That would be epic!

On another note, where the hell is Pirates of Silicon Valley on Blu-ray?!?! o_O

ipod-father.jpg

Gangster Movie, about the Apple Family, fighting an undercover war for turf against the Microsoft Family. Starring Jason Statham as Jonathan Ive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.