Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thbridges

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Does anyone know if it is possible in iMessage to set the return key to send the message instead of go to the next line?

Thank you.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
So you'd rather not have the ability to create a new line so you can have 2 send buttons?

Ok.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
The instant Apple make the 'return' key a 'send' button, a plethora of complaints will start about how one accidentally sends incomplete texts all the freaking time.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :rolleyes:

Soma Addict

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
For me, at least, I use my laptop and my iPad simultaneously. I use my wireless keyboard for my iPad but I have to hit the send button on the iPad itself in order to send an iMessage after typing it on the wireless keyboard. It is a bit annoying.

It would be nice to have the option, maybe shift, option or control + Return to send the message instead of a line break. I understand that there should be a way to easily create a line break but I feel it is on oversight to not have a way to use the keyboard to send a message directly from the keyboard.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just the opposite. Can you get the Return (Enter) NOT to send a messages in OS X? Don't see a choice in Preferences.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Because it's just so hard to move your finger all the way over to the send button..

Odd advice from someone that started this thread:

Can someone link me to the site where they list a bunch of links to shortcuts on the phone?
For example, you can copy a link to your homescreen that when you click it, it will open safari for half a second, then auto open to your brightness settings or whatever you have set.

we8me

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Apple needs to implement a key-equivelent for Send

Yes, you are absolutely right. Without Send with a key command, iMessage is frustrating using a paired keyboard. This should be fixed. Fortunately, Apple has a precedence for executing a command from a text box accepting new lines:

shift-return should execute the Send

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Last time I checked even keyboard had no way to send the text from iPhone. I will try shift enter next time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey guys, I have a solution.

When you done, you will be able to make new line with Shift+Enter shortcut.
How would that apply to iOS though (unless perhaps through some sort of a tweak if jailbroken at best)?

Sigidueckpy

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
Asunión
Does anyone know if it is possible in iMessage to set the return key to send the message instead of go to the next line?

Thank you.

I would just want to change it, that when I hit enter, it gives mi a new line. Now it sends the message. Can you help mi how to turn it around?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can you get the Return (Enter) NOT to send a messages in the iPhone 6???
Return doesn't seem to send messages it should create a new line in iOS. Not sure how/why yours is sending the message.

BillybobHills

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2017
Just the opposite. Can you get the Return (Enter) NOT to send a messages in OS X? Don't see a choice in Preferences.
[doublepost=1499233892][/doublepost]You can do this by holding the option (alt) key and hit return (enter). This takes you to the next line in OSX.

Reactions: BlueParadox

afteryouwho

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
[doublepost=1499233892][/doublepost]You can do this by holding the option (alt) key and hit return (enter). This takes you to the next line in OSX.

Thanks for this. I was going nuts trying to figure out how to do this on my iMac. Now I can stop sending messages that are just one long running sentence!!

tlmurray

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Most of my texting is via the Mac's Messages app, so I would like Return to be a new line, and then click a button to send. Option+Return is okay for a new line, but I just hate pressing Return before I'm done with the message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.