Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milfredo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Hi everyone,

I have scoured the intrawebnet for help on this and nothing is working. I have found a lot of people with seemingly the same problems as me but mine is slightly different (which I will get to shortly) and I have tried ALL the recommended fixes I have come across.

Mac mini – Lion
IPhone 4 – IOS5
Itunes 10

Symptoms:

While ipone is connected to power the wifi sync does not work BUT the 'sync now' button from settings, general, iTunes Wi-Fi sync is NOT greyed out and when selected I get the message locating mac-mini but nothing happens. Most other peoples issues seem that the button is greyed out while mine is certainly not.

When the phone is connected to the computer via USB the wifi sync tick-box is enabled.

There are no firewalls and I have verified that the iPhone can see the mac mini as I can access the shared iTunes library from iTunes on the phone.

I have removed ITunes completely using app cleaner and reinstalled.

Rebooted both phone and computer many times.

ITunes is running on the computer.

Phone fully synced and restored many times.

Same ICloud account on iTunes and iPhone.

The 'sync now' button can still be selected (not greyed out) when phone is not connected to power but I get the same symptoms as if connected to power. People have said that manual wifi syncs can be started so I do not think this is a problem.

Phone never shows up on the mac mini after the USB has been disconnected.

My router is a Virgin (not so) Super Hub and I have been though the advanced settings on this but I don't know what would stop the wifi sync but allow all other sharing over my network.

All other iCloud services work like photo stream from the phone just not wifi sync.

Anyone’s help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Go Into iTunes

Hi everyone,

I have scoured the intrawebnet for help on this and nothing is working. I have found a lot of people with seemingly the same problems as me but mine is slightly different (which I will get to shortly) and I have tried ALL the recommended fixes I have come across.

Mac mini – Lion
IPhone 4 – IOS5
Itunes 10

Symptoms:

While ipone is connected to power the wifi sync does not work BUT the 'sync now' button from settings, general, iTunes Wi-Fi sync is NOT greyed out and when selected I get the message locating mac-mini but nothing happens. Most other peoples issues seem that the button is greyed out while mine is certainly not.

When the phone is connected to the computer via USB the wifi sync tick-box is enabled.

There are no firewalls and I have verified that the iPhone can see the mac mini as I can access the shared iTunes library from iTunes on the phone.

I have removed ITunes completely using app cleaner and reinstalled.

Rebooted both phone and computer many times.

ITunes is running on the computer.

Phone fully synced and restored many times.

Same ICloud account on iTunes and iPhone.

The 'sync now' button can still be selected (not greyed out) when phone is not connected to power but I get the same symptoms as if connected to power. People have said that manual wifi syncs can be started so I do not think this is a problem.

Phone never shows up on the mac mini after the USB has been disconnected.

My router is a Virgin (not so) Super Hub and I have been though the advanced settings on this but I don't know what would stop the wifi sync but allow all other sharing over my network.

All other iCloud services work like photo stream from the phone just not wifi sync.

Anyone’s help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Will

And connect your phone / iPad (one at a time)

Under the summary tab, click "USe Wifi Sync"

Do NOT click the iCloud option unless you are really sure it's what you want.

milfredo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2008
And connect your phone / iPad (one at a time)

Under the summary tab, click "USe Wifi Sync"

Do NOT click the iCloud option unless you are really sure it's what you want.

Thanks but that is ticked for sure as mentioned in my original post:

'When the phone is connected to the computer via USB the wifi sync tick-box is enabled.'

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Bakup Everthing

Thanks but that is ticked for sure as mentioned in my original post:

'When the phone is connected to the computer via USB the wifi sync tick-box is enabled.'

Then connect via cable.. And re-install siftware.

IE: Re-install IOS5 as prompted.

Hope it helps, but as long as you have back files, you can always retreat.

milfredo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2008
I've tried that from fresh and from backup restore but I still have the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.