Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
So my IT department set up my phone as a "new phone" when it came before telling me it arrived. I was planning on simply setting it up from the backup of my 3Gs.

Is this still possible? I've connected to iTunes, and it simply wants to add my apps and music as if it was the first time I've had a phone.

When I clicked to "restore," it starts downloading iOS5 (it's a 4s and already has iOS5 on it). When the download is done, will it give me the option to restore from an older phone? Am I screwed? (I don't want to sit through an hour OS update for nothing)..

Thanks!

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Did they do anything to your phone like setting up a corporate email?

You can just sync everything back across like it is a new phone OR you can right click on the iPhone (underneath Devices) in iTunes and click restore from backup.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It will still give you the option to restore from a backup. You can also right click on your iPhone in the left hand column and select "Restore from Backup". That will restore your iPhone from a backup without having to redownload iOS.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
Kage: Yes, they set up the corporate email. However, it was on my old phone as well, so if I restored from that backup, it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm on a mac, with a single button. No right click, and clicking while holding command, option or control doesn't allow me to pop up a restore from backup. I guess I'll let the OS redownload, and hopefully it gives me the option to update from backup from there.

Thanks for the help!

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Kage: Yes, they set up the corporate email. However, it was on my old phone as well, so if I restored from that backup, it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm on a mac, with a single button. No right click, and clicking while holding command, option or control doesn't allow me to pop up a restore from backup. I guess I'll let the OS redownload, and hopefully it gives me the option to update from backup from there.

Thanks for the help!
Wooooo!!! HOLD IT! Read my edit here in a second.

EDIT: Listen the thing with iPhones and corporations is a tricky one. I know for fact you cannot remove contacts from a corporate iPhone. Is it a corporate email that uses Exchange?

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
I unplugged, and plugged back in. Click and control did the trick. Restoring from backup.

Lots of thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.