Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
FL
Is there anyone else around that is planning to bypass iCloud? I haven't found any reason that I would use it yet. I am torn about updating to Lion and updating devices to iOS5.
I like the stability of SL and reliability of Google Contact and Calendar syncs. Don't know that I need more stress right now. Have read tons of postings about those that are using iCloud in Lion and with devices and problems.
I was thinking of at least moving my Apole MM address to an iCloud account and them immediately turning it off so neither my MACs or devices synd over it. Is that possible? Or will signing up for iCloud start changing everything on my MACs and devices?
Have read lots about signing up for and using iCloud but not much about establishing an account and not using it. Just want to keep my MM user name active in case I do decide to use iCloud in the future.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
I have a iphone 3gs (ios5), ipod touch 2nd Gen (ios 4.2.1), and a Mac Mini (1gb ram, osx 10.6.8)

As two out of the three mac things I use, I'm sticking to google for my syncing purposes until those are renewed/updated.

I don't use icloud on my 3gs, even though ios5 is installed - I wanted the functions.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
The use of iCloud is completely optional. Frankly I don't understand why folks wouldn't want to use some if not all of it's features, it is free and just the nightly backups and the ability to find a lost iPhone is something I would think everyone would benefit from. But if you don't want to use it, just don't turn it on and ignore it.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I am not currently planning on using icloud. I tried it and ran into issues that worried me. The basic problem, IMHO, is that icloud will control everything. That means if you loose the cloud, you could loose everything like your contacts list. Search the web and you will find lots of comments about calendar syncing issues, contacts moved or lost, photos disappearing, etc. Right now, for me, syncing up through iTunes works exactly how I want it to. If icloud can prove itself reliable, and put in fail-safe options, then I might consider using icloud.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I personally use all features of iCloud except Mail and Docs. I still use Google for both of those. Contact and calendar sync have worked like a champ for me on iClould.

I'm sure I'll eventually go back to using Mail once they get their downtime and push issues sorted out.

KlytusLord

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
It will get better

I think iCloud will get better soon, as some glitches are fixed and some missing features added.

I use Dropbox for documents, simply because of how simple it is to use cross-platform, including on Linux distros.

I use iCloud for syncing my contacts, calendar and bookmarks, though there seems to be a glitch with the bookmarks bar not syncing at all.

I expect iWork integration will improve over time; right now it is a bit tedious to use it full time, but not horrible.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Is there anyone else around that is planning to bypass iCloud?

It's a well known fact amongst those who are experienced, that anything new is bound to have bugs, various issues and annoyances. It's not Apple, it's just new projects in the tech field that share this commonality.

If one does not mind getting caught up in the problems, it's fine to dive in right away. Conversely, a wait and see approach can be enjoyable, as you are not subject to being a tester of an unproven project.

My approach is generally wait and see, especially if the company has a track record of problems in a certain area. MobileMe was one of Apple's rare missteps that caused many a lot of grief. Even Jobs himself had the guts to actually admit (a rare move for him) that MobileMe was not Apple's finest work.

So to think that by some stroke of luck Apple can get this iCloud project off the ground without problems, is to bury ones head in the sand.

I do believe that they may do a better job with iCloud than they did with MobileMe simply because they have done so much bragging, that their ego is a stake. A huge factor for Apple.

Only time will tell.

As I wait, I'm well covered by the various services I have assembled for my benefit.

If at some time iCloud actually becomes reliable, useful, and not filled with gimmicks, I will give it the appropriate amount of consideration.

crappa

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Limited Use at Best

My wife and I have Find My (apple product), Contacts, and Calendar working in iCloud. I sync a Mac Mini, and an iPad, while she syncs a MBP, iPad, and an iPod Touch on our own accounts. Bookmarks don't sync well at all, some reason it combines her BMs with mine. Gave up on mail, and as far as iWorks stuff goes, tried it, lost every Numbers and Pages document off the iPad, only Keynote files stayed on the iPad. The files did get into iCloud, so I was able to download them into Mac Mini and put them back through iTunes. Got this all working with several lengthy calls to Applecare and 2 trips to the Genius Bar over a weeks time. It seems like fixing one thing destroys another, so we are going to live with what we have working. Hopefully things get better before we purchase our iPhones.

Still using Dropbox and Evernote.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
My wife and I have Find My (apple product), Contacts, and Calendar working in iCloud. I sync a Mac Mini, and an iPad, while she syncs a MBP, iPad, and an iPod Touch on our own accounts. Bookmarks don't sync well at all, some reason it combines her BMs with mine. Gave up on mail, and as far as iWorks stuff goes, tried it, lost every Numbers and Pages document off the iPad, only Keynote files stayed on the iPad. The files did get into iCloud, so I was able to download them into Mac Mini and put them back through iTunes. Got this all working with several lengthy calls to Applecare and 2 trips to the Genius Bar over a weeks time. It seems like fixing one thing destroys another, so we are going to live with what we have working. Hopefully things get better before we purchase our iPhones.

Still using Dropbox and Evernote.

I think Apple is probably doing it's best, but they have a very dismal record with cloud services. Every company has their strengths and weaknesses. They cannot be great in all areas. While Apple makes a serious effort to be all things to all people they seem to struggle in a few of those areas.

I would be mindful of the value of Dropbox and Evernote. I use them too and have always had great experiences.

My plan is to wait and see. Once they have iCloud up and running properly then I will begin my six month observation period. If they can keep iCloud up and running properly for a full six months that will far exceed their run with MobileMe.

I would also encourage you to analyze the data program they claim is "free". There are several credible reports that very specifically outline how the basic setup of iCloud consumes over half that amount.

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
FL
Google sync with Lion

If I upgrade to Lion and iOS 5 on devices will I still be able to use Google for Calendar and Contact syncing? I read postings that iCal on Lion no longer has the feature to add a Google calendar. But not clear if it was actually Lion that prevents it or if due to iCloud not allowing it to be added.
Does iOS5 still allow me to add my Google Calendar? I tried searching posting for problems in iOS5 with Google Calendars and there quite a few but again they seem related to iCloud so I am unclear if I can just keep what I am doing, syncing Google Calendar and Contacts if I upgrade my iMac and iTouch.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I am not going to be using iCloud. As of now, I just don't have any use for it. My calendars (iCal), mail, and contacts sync between my iPhone and MBP via Exchange so I have no need for the mail, contacts, calendar features and I have no interest in the bookmarks or photo sync features (I do also have an iPad but I don't store music or pictures on there. I also don't want to share apps between my devices).

One thing that does appeal to me is the idea of putting music in my iTunes library and having it appear on my iPhone OTA but not enough to actually get started with iCloud for.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Staying way the hell away from it. Problem is, can't share my calendars anymore from my MM to my family, because they made the move.
How is the rest of the family doing? My guess is most people are not having major problems, which is the case with everyone I know. We only have 1 problem which we can do without for now b

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
FL
Calendar sharing

Problem is, can't share my calendars anymore from my MM to my family, because they made the move.
Hope you found a solution. I got a gmail account just for a family calendar and then added that to everyones devices. There see other work arounds but i know firsthand how painful change is when it affects the entire family.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
How is the rest of the family doing? My guess is most people are not having major problems, which is the case with everyone I know. We only have 1 problem which we can do without for now b

Well, they are kind of pissed that we can't see the School calendar that I "own" locally on my MM, nor the Travel Cal.

Hope you found a solution. I got a gmail account just for a family calendar and then added that to everyones devices. There see other work arounds but i know firsthand how painful change is when it affects the entire family.

Other than entering the Google Universe, no- not yet. You would think Apple would just support fricking iCloud w/SL, and make them talk. What a novel idea.

but hey, I could just go from XP to Vista and roll from a window's environment; I guess that's what Tim is advising me to do.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Well, they are kind of pissed that we can't see the School calendar that I "own" locally on my MM, nor the Travel Cal.
Did you try to Share you Calendar (Public) and send them the Link so they can subscribe to it? However, they would not be able to setup the subscription on iCloud.com. They would need to do that on the Mac or on the iOS Device.

By your answer I assume that they are not having any serious problems with iCloud itself (which is the case for most people) so maybe you would not have any either. You could convert to iCloud yourself as well and join the group.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Did you try to Share you Calendar (Public) and send them the Link so they can subscribe to it? However, they would not be able to setup the subscription on iCloud.com. They would need to do that on the Mac or on the iOS Device.

By your answer I assume that they are not having any serious problems with iCloud itself (which is the case for most people) so maybe you would not have any either. You could convert to iCloud yourself as well and join the group.

I can't upgrade to iCloud, because Lion does not play nice with my business network. So no Lion, no iCloud.

As far as sharing goes, when I share, I get an error that the members I am sharing with are on iCloud and I need to be to share a Cal.

I'm stuck.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I said share as public. At least maybe they view only. As a temporary solution.

fteter

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2008
Backing Away

Have tried iCloud. Won't sync contacts or calendars consistently between devices (iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad). Having checked the Apple Support forums, I know I'm not alone in having problems. I'm sure it will get better but, in all honesty, iCloud is just not ready for prime time at this particular moment.

In my family, we're shutting down iCloud. Using WiFi sync with iTunes and Dropbox. Hopefully, someday, iCloud will "just work"...but today is not that day. I'd recommend bypassing iCloud for now.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Is there anyone else around that is planning to bypass iCloud? I haven't found any reason that I would use it yet. I am torn about updating to Lion and updating devices to iOS5.
I like the stability of SL and reliability of Google Contact and Calendar syncs. Don't know that I need more stress right now. Have read tons of postings about those that are using iCloud in Lion and with devices and problems.
I was thinking of at least moving my Apole MM address to an iCloud account and them immediately turning it off so neither my MACs or devices synd over it. Is that possible? Or will signing up for iCloud start changing everything on my MACs and devices?
Have read lots about signing up for and using iCloud but not much about establishing an account and not using it. Just want to keep my MM user name active in case I do decide to use iCloud in the future.

I was a bit ambivalent abut the upgrade as SL set up was going perfect.

In the end I did it, and installing lion was the smoothest OS upgrade I've done in 25 years? And my concern about some of my less common software not working were unfounded.

Yest there are some little annoyances like the scrolling in lion, and for me having the user/~ library folder being hidden by default, though these just take a second to fix.

As for iCloud I've given it a spin and am finding the syncing a little inconsistent and wouldn't currently rely on it to have my docs available.

marndt

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Germany
Hi Sandi, long time no see ... :)

I'm using an Apple MM account for years, and although I will switch it to iCloud for sure, I've postponed it 'till now, but made some preparations: I've moved my web site to another provider, changed the domains name server entry, and moved all iDisk files to an alternative location. So I'm currently only using mail, calender, and contacts, which should be migrated easily.

Why am I still hesistant: There's no rush as MM continues until mid 2012, and Apple should use the time w/o me to improve iCloud and fix bugs. BTW, I don't think the backup of my iDevices to the cloud is worth considering: To many apps are currently storing massive data at a location being backed up, and Apple is lacking a clear policy, where to save permanent data that shouldn't be copied to the cloud: Although I'm told to have 25 GB space as a MM customer, I shudder when looking at my upload speed (approx. 1 MB/sec) ...

Mattes

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
FL
Long time no see

So nice of you to drop by, Mattes! I have about decided to make the Lion upgrade. Still a bit off balance from the cross country move and settling in so may wait another few months. My favorite Mac is my MBA and it is one of the very early models so processor and storage are minimal. I want to first do a clean install of OS X, then upgrade and see how it handles Lion and go from there.
My husband uses the iMac to sync his iTouch and I know he will grumble about the change so want to delay Lion on that until I am fully comfortable with using.
The MacMini is basically just a back up. It has the attached ext hard drive and connects to a TV to watch Internet shows, store file back ups internally and on the ext HD and display photos in screen saver mode. I am toying with turning it into a sever under Lion but I hate to lose it as an optional computer. Just bought a Lion Server Book and starting to research it to see if I want to take that route.
Like you, I'd much rather trust my own back up system then be at the mercy of an off site system that changes over time in directions that are uncertain. But I also see a value- during our move from MT to FL, I relied heavily on MM as my access point and go to point while my computers were in transit and storage.
I was thankful each day for months on end that MM was there, knowing that if I had delayed the move until next year I would have had the added stress of figuring out another off site system when I was most vulnerable and desperate. I was very impressed and relieved that Apple has given us a full year to transition. And looking forward to the Lion upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.