Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

large-500x750.png

Beyond the Panorama view, it seems Apple left out another small feature in the final version of iOS 5. The bar appears while typing into the field as shown above, giving you a number of autocorrection options. Per 9to5mac, the feature can reportedly be enabled on a non-jailbroken phone with the following procedure :

1. Download iBackupBot
2. Backup your iPhone/iPod in iTunes
3. Open iBackupBot and find the backup, then load it.
4. Find Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboard.plist and open the file. (if your software isn't registered you'll have to press cancel and then it will open)
5. Add in the following code: <key>KeyboardAutocorrectionLists</key><string>YES</string>
6. Save your modifications, and then restore from backup from within iBackupbot.
Based on comments, it seems a little unstable, so it seems there are reasons that this was never enabled for the final version. Still, it's interesting to see what other features Apple explored.

Article Link: Another Hidden iOS 5 Feature: Autocorrect Keyboard Bar

kikuchiyo

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
This is the autocorrect bar Japanese input now uses (without a hack) to suggest words or to convert kana into kanji. I don't like it. I think the old system was much, much better and allowed there to be more screen space.

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

kikuchiyo said:
This is the autocorrect bar Japanese input now uses (without a hack) to suggest words or to convert kana into kanji. I don't like it. I think the old system was much, much better and allowed there to be more screen space.

I prefer this method than the older one even with less screen space. It was too small for fingers before, or you'd have to cover the full screen to see all the options. It also give the English word option when typing katakana-eigo.

winks360

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Time Capsule
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Spooner83 said:
I have a feeling these left out features will be released with iOS 5.1

Don't you mean "Just a few of the hundreds of new features in iOS 6"

Haha ;)

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
What's up with the hidden features?

Oh, it seems to work a bit like the autocorrection bar in Android.

maxreps1003

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
Help

So i am using an iPhone 4S, have listened to all of these instructions, but CANNOT find this keyboard.plist file. i have talked to some friends and they do not have it either when they try. I have tried backing up multiple times and i still don't know what to do. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Sweet, took 5 minutes on my 4S. It was buggy but I did the first restart and now it seems surprisingly good actually. I like it.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
So i am using an iPhone 4S, have listened to all of these instructions, but CANNOT find this keyboard.plist file. i have talked to some friends and they do not have it either when they try. I have tried backing up multiple times and i still don't know what to do. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

load up ibackbot, click your backup on the left, click the Path bar(it'll sort by letter), scroll to Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboard.plist, double click the file and click cancel, copy the code line and paste via the icon button after <true/> value, save, click the power button like icon on the top right, restore.

it works, but annoyance is that you have to click the confirm button on the bottom right every time, then space bar..

maxreps1003

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
load up ibackbot, click your backup on the left, click the Path bar(it'll sort by letter), scroll to Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboard.plist, double click the file and click cancel, copy the code line and paste via the icon button after <true/> value, save, click the power button like icon on the top right, restore.

it works, but annoyance is that you have to click the confirm button on the bottom right every time, then space bar..

no like i don't have the plist file. there is none in iBackUpBot. i have gone through it like 20 times 0_o

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I feel like this and the panorama are features they left out to show off the delta updates once they are "fully baked". I hope deep Facebook integration makes it too.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
no like i don't have the plist file. there is none in iBackUpBot. i have gone through it like 20 times 0_o

Well in my file it says something about buddysetupdone, maybe setup a buddy in game center or something along those lines. :-\

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
I dunno... For my money, these things are disabled for a reason. Both the autocorrect KB and the panoramic camera view look unpolished to the point Apple didn't enable them. If they look like crap, they probably function like crap, too.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Some how I see Apple left this out because it does not look at good but it is one of those great features that should be at least optional to pop up.

I would not be surprised if it in there for this was in there for testing auto correct. It see what other options the keyboard was looking at.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada

I guess that's the only obvious place to put suggested words. Surprisingly, that's the thing about Android that always irked me when I see the screenshots. It looks like it takes up too much space.

Does it actually help in your experience? I seems just typing words like normal is more efficient than typing a part of the word and slowing down to select if from a list.

Jeayese

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
I can't find the plist.

I can't find the plist: "com.apple.keyboard.plist" at all, I have searched and searched.. Did apple remove it? I'm on iOS 5.0.1 beta 2 & have an iPhone 4S

someone please get back to me on this..

*returns to hunting for the plist*

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Someone mentioned it is used now or the Japanese keyboard, those of you missing the plist have you turned other keyboards on? I'm assuming you need to do that first... Like the Japanese one you used to have to do to get emoji.

Just a thought so early in the am!

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
It seems to be the correction bar for a Swype keyboard.

Take a look to the attachment: it's a screenshot from my Nokia N9 with Swype keyboard enabled.

Attachments

• 20111110134026.png
    20111110134026.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 267

csheath

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
I no longer have access to this plist on 5.0.1 either, its there on older backups. I imagine its still accessible on a jailbroken device but its not in the backup file anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.