Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I am thinking about buying an apple tv but I have a feeling an update will be coming soon. What are the chances that a new apple tv will be coming next year? Better yet, what are the chances of it supporting 1080P video? This would be the only reason why I would wait, 1080P would be nice. However, the device is relatively inexpensive, but $100 is $100 know what I mean.....

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I am thinking about buying an apple tv but I have a feeling an update will be coming soon. What are the chances that a new apple tv will be coming next year? Better yet, what are the chances of it supporting 1080P video? This would be the only reason why I would wait, 1080P would be nice. However, the device is relatively inexpensive, but $100 is $100 know what I mean.....

There will most definitely be an upgrade of the ATV to a model that handles 1080p, either integrated in a television set or as a set top box. But no one knows when this is going to happen.

If you want it, get it. If 1080p is really that important to you, get something else.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I'd go for it, The 1080p Support could very well come in a software update.

If this was true, wouldn't it have been possible to have 1080p output by now, considering the vast amount of people constantly coding stuff for jailbroken ATV2s?

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
The ATV2 is almost identical internally to the iPhone 4 and the iPad 1, and none of them are capable of 1080p output (even jailbroken). The iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are both capable of 1080p output, as will the ATV be when it's upgraded to the next generation of hardware, but almost certainly not before.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I wasn't aware that a simple software update would enable the ATV to output 1080P. If this is the case then why hasn't it happened yet? I thought there would have to be some hardware updates as well.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Thing about the current Apple TV is it's cheap enough not to worry about what might or might not be coming and when. It may well be the best value product Apple make :)

snowwhite007

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
Scotland
get it now for 100bux and when the new one comes out if you must have it sell the :apple:2 and itll help fund your new product good thing about :apple: is that most of there products dont depreciate so bad

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Like everyone else on here, I say get it now. You could be waiting for a very long time, so why miss out between now and then?

FYI: The first generation AppleTV was released in January of 2007, and the second generation AppleTV was released in September of 2010.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The software on the ATV2 is now 4.4. The iPhone and iPad is on 5.0. I was surprised that ATV2 did not get the 5.0 upgrade (only 4.3 -> 4.4). However, since they only added a few features I was hoping there would be an upgrade to 5.0 soon that would have a lot of new features and maybe an App Store (desperately needed).

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I would get it now. I would guess that Apple will eventually come out with a new version, but that pretty much applies to any tech.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
THe ATV2 is a great way to watch iTunes video content that you rent/buy from the iTunes store. If you are wanting something to watch Netflix/Amazon, etc. get a Roku. If you want to rip DVD's or Blu-rays and stream that, get something like a Popcornhour or WD TV Live Plus (1080 + bitstream HD audio).

There doesn't seem to be a single perfect answer today. Fortunately, none of these are particularly expensive, so unless you are running out of HDMI inputs on your AVR, buy the best solution for your application.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Another thing to remember about the ATV2 is that it must have an iTunes instance running on a computer to stream content unless you are playing content from the iTunes Store or Netflix/Youtube. It cannot mount a shared disk or use a NAS that runs the open source Firefly iTunes server application. Since your signature lists only a MBP, you might want to think this through unless you are looking for Netflix or iTunes store rentals only.

The Roku2 XS (1080p) is a great solution for internet content (Netflix, Amazon, Huluplus, Epix, HBOgo, etc) except the iTunes store of course.

The ATV2 is a very handy iTunes music player with the iOS Remote app, but be aware that it transcodes everything to 48k, so it is not a bit-perfect audiophile solution by a long shot.

If you don't need HD audio from blu-ray rips, a 2011 Mac Mini with XBMC is probably about as close to an all-in-one solution as you will presently get. A Mini running Win7 & JRiver Media Center is also good, but still no HD audio on the Mini.

I love the ATV2, but if I didn't purchase TV shows from the iTunes Store, I would likely not use it.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I decided to JB my ATV2 today, took all of about 30 min or so due to a few user erros, but basically if you follow the directions it is so freaking painless and easy. After installing a variety of plug ins all I can say is FREAKING WOW, this is how ATV should have been out of the box. An internet browser to stream content, fixed the "Send to Airplay" plug in 1 min timeout issue, Plex, XMBC and more. Wow wow wow and I just scratched the surface.

This JB removes the need to have iTunes running for a lot of your non itunes content thanks to Plex and XMBC, in fact with XMBC you do not even need your computer running, just connect your media storage to your network.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Another thing to remember about the ATV2 is that it must have an iTunes instance running on a computer to stream content unless you are playing content from the iTunes Store or Netflix/Youtube. It cannot mount a shared disk or use a NAS that runs the open source Firefly iTunes server application. Since your signature lists only a MBP, you might want to think this through unless you are looking for Netflix or iTunes store rentals only.

The Roku2 XS (1080p) is a great solution for internet content (Netflix, Amazon, Huluplus, Epix, HBOgo, etc) except the iTunes store of course.

The ATV2 is a very handy iTunes music player with the iOS Remote app, but be aware that it transcodes everything to 48k, so it is not a bit-perfect audiophile solution by a long shot.

If you don't need HD audio from blu-ray rips, a 2011 Mac Mini with XBMC is probably about as close to an all-in-one solution as you will presently get. A Mini running Win7 & JRiver Media Center is also good, but still no HD audio on the Mini.

I love the ATV2, but if I didn't purchase TV shows from the iTunes Store, I would likely not use it.

I would agree. I have the ATV2 and just got the Roku 2 XS. For 1080p netflix streaming, the ROKU is better than the ATV2. Not blu ray quality, but definitely better. Same goes with NHL. A better picture without stuttering like on ATV2. But ATV2 has a much better interface and of course current tv shows and airplay that ROKU doesn't even come close. That's probably the reason why I have both.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for all the info guys! I mainly want an ATV2 to rent movies and watch netflix. But I do have netflix on my PS3. I need to re-think this and make sure the ATV2 will get some use rather than sitting there collecting dust.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Why don't you jailbreak your ATV2?

aaricus

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
I actually bought an Apple TV a few weeks back (I'm in Australia) the iTunes store here doesn't do much HD (Not even sure it does 720P).

I'm not sure how it is in the USA iTunes Store but unless the content is being pushed at 1080P then there's no point in having a 1080P Apple TV.

Is the USA Store pushing 1080P content yet?

There is an obvious benefit from 720P vs. 1080P, but unless Apple is pushing 1080P downloads it's completely pointless.

I also agree that a software update could be possible, depends on the hardware in the current model though.

I wish Apple would release a Bluray player with Apple TV builtin myself! :D

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
Why don't you jailbreak your ATV2?

The only advantage to me personally in JB'ing it would be if I could get Amazon video streaming on it. Even with XBMC on a JB ATV2, I still have 720p with lossy audio. I need 1080p with HD audio to play my ripped BD's.

Does JB'ing it change the audio transcoding issue - will it stream bit-perfect audio via HDMI (legit question - I actually don't know)?

aaricus

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
And actually there would be a massive overheard in terms of file size in 720 vs 1080 - one which they may have to charge extra for...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.