Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neal1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Recently I've had an issue where many, but not all, websites won't display properly. Many times it will just be that images won't load, or sometimes all CSS seems to have been stripped and I get an old-school looking text-only page.

I'm running OSX 10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro and this problem occurrs on all of the following browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Safari.

I've already repaired all my permissions. I also tried creating a new user account, and the problem occurs when logged in through there as well.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts or insight on the matter!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I used to get this very occasionally when using Firefox on Snow Leopard. It completely went away when I switched to Safari though. I didn't think it was system related but since it's happening to you in all browsers it might be.

Wish I could help :eek:

neal1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Yeah since my problem is the same across every browser I think it's a different issue.

Example screenshot attached from a visit to a SoundCloud page.

Also, some sites such as reddit.com are not loading for me at all!

I just tried plugging my computer directly into the modem to make sure it wasn't something the router was doing, and the problem persists.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-12 at 9.59.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-12 at 9.59.22 PM.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 606

neal1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Found the solution. It was the DNS server I was using. I went into my network settings, and switch them to the OpenDNS servers. Now things are back and running like normal.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Having the same problem... So how do I get my dns to open dns?

In System Preferences, click on Network. Assuming you see "Connected" for your status, click on Advanced and then on DNS. In the DNS Servers list, select and click the Minus to remove any existing IP addresses. Then click the Plus and type in 208.67.222.222. Click the Plus again and type in 208.67.220.220. Then click OK and then Apply, and close System Preferences.

To test, attempt to go to http://www.31415926pi.org with your browser. Since there's no such site, an OpenDNS Guide page should load instead.

auslegung

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
This worked perfectly, it took me hours of searching, thanks!!

In System Preferences, click on Network. Assuming you see "Connected" for your status, click on Advanced and then on DNS. In the DNS Servers list, select and click the Minus to remove any existing IP addresses. Then click the Plus and type in 208.67.222.222. Click the Plus again and type in 208.67.220.220. Then click OK and then Apply, and close System Preferences.

To test, attempt to go to http://www.31415926pi.org with your browser. Since there's no such site, an OpenDNS Guide page should load instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.