Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjshaw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
I looked for an answer to this and found none.

If I want to download a sub-128 kbps file and get it on my iPhone immediately, how does one go about this? The file isn't eligible to be uploaded to the cloud, and it doesn't show up on my "Recently Added" playlist.

Prior to iCloud, I would simply have the "Recently Added" playlist set in the "Music" tab of my iPhone in iTunes to sync automatically. That way, I would add the music file to iTunes, sync, and the file would be available on my iPhone via the "Recently Added" playlist.

Now, after adding the file, I get nothing in my "Recently Added" playlist, and there isn't even an option to select which playlists get synced to my iPhone.

Anybody have an idea re: how can I get an "ineligible" (sub-128 kbps) music file directly from my computer to my iPhone now, without using Dropbox or a similar workaround? I want to add the file and have it available after a sync.

Thanks for any ideas.

----------

Hmmm... I guess one way is to change the file to "Audiobook" and manage it that way. I'll try that, but if anybody has a better idea, I'm all ears.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I had a bunch of very old mono songs/albums that were sub 100K. I selected all the songs (labeled: ineligible), converted them all to AAC, deleted the old songs while they were still selected... and they all either matched or uploaded to iCloud.

/Jim

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California
Workaround

One workaround that I found is to go to iTunes, do a Get Info on the song, go to the Options tab, and switch the media type to Podcast. Then go to the device in the sidebar, click the Podcast tab, and sync the podcast.

Not an elegant solution, but it will get your file onto your device.

playa

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
I know this is a late reply, but thanks mlibrescu - that did the trick.

It was the only way I could find to get call recordings from a group I'm a part of onto my iphone. Or has Match by chance improved and there's a better solution now?!! It's annoying not to have any options or say when you're using Match!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.