Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jctivo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I'm thinking about getting and Apple tv but need component output because of distribution issues.

1. Can Apple TV 1 do things like airplay? Or is it more limited because it's Apple tv 1.

2. I like the idea of Apple TV 1 because it has component output. Can it simultaneously output hdmi and component?

3. Can you work either Apple TV 1 or 2 with a remote app on iphone 4 via wifi?

4. Can you hook up a hard drive to Apple TV 2 and then add movies/songs to it from your network?

I have 2 kids so I don't get free time to go into the stores to ask these questions.

Please help.

Thanks,
jctivo

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
1: No, but you can add it if you hack it. (Its easy)

2: No

3: Yes

4: No, the Apple TV 2's USB port is a device port. Not a host port like that on a computer. You'll need to jailbreak the Apple TV 2 and use a networked hard drive.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Okay

I'm thinking about getting and Apple tv but need component output because of distribution issues.

1. Can Apple TV 1 do things like airplay? Or is it more limited because it's Apple tv 1.

2. I like the idea of Apple TV 1 because it has component output. Can it simultaneously output hdmi and component?

3. Can you work either Apple TV 1 or 2 with a remote app on iphone 4 via wifi?

4. Can you hook up a hard drive to Apple TV 2 and then add movies/songs to it from your network?

I have 2 kids so I don't get free time to go into the stores to ask these questions.

Please help.

Thanks,
jctivo

Firstly, go for an ATV 2 The 1 is outdated now. My setup works this way:

ATV is connected to my network via a Draytek gigabit router, which also provides it with Internet access.

The optical output is connected to a 7.1 surround DTS system which is also Internet connected.

My iMac is connected to the router, and streams music and content form my iTunes library to the ATV DTS and 42" HD TV

The HDMI cable on the ATV is connected to the TV.

My MBA MBP and IPad, all stream wirelessly to this system.

Adding an hdd directly to the ATV is not something I have ever tried, as I have all the streaming options covered. My gut instinct tells my you can't. But if your content is in iTunes on all your devices, and home sharing is on, you should not need to.

It may be possible to connect a network hdd that the ATV can see, but I have never tried that route.

jctivo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
thanks

thanks for all of the answers. I appreciate the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.