Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I've successfully cut 2 miniSIMs down to microSIMs that work fine in my iPhone 4s. Now I have another miniSIM (the one that has all my prepaid $$ on it!) that I want to cut down. Problem is, this SIM has a large-size chip. The chip is much larger than it is on either of the other two mini-SIMs--on which I only had to cut away plastic. Here, it is inevitable to cut part of the chip (albeit a part that doesn't make contact). So I'm pretty scared because one wrong snip and I lose nearly $100 in credit. I found a tutorial online that shows how to trim these types: http://www.solutios.com/simcutting/

Problem is, I can align the circuit lines two different ways as follows:

Photo%20Nov%2027%2C%202%2039%2024%20PM.jpg

and:
Photo%20Nov%2027%2C%202%2040%2001%20PM.jpg

So which is it, align top or align bottom? Thank you!!!

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Looks like AT$T, is it?

Make a guess, if it doesn't work out pay them the $15 for a micro sim.

I have a sim cutter from cutyoursim.com and this is what it did to my sim. Looks to me like it took the middle right out.

SIM1.png

SIM2.png

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I dont mind getting a new microSIM, it's just that I have a $100 credit on a gophone SIM (you guessed it, ATT) that expires in Feb and if I cut this properly can access those funds...which are not transferable unfortunately.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
When I First Got My

Iphone 4, I ordered a microsim from my carrier (O2) Impatient to try my newbie, I attempted to cut the large sim I had (I'm on contract anyway so credit wasn't an issue)

I was really careful, but....I trashed it! Luckily, my microsim arrived the next day. Rather you guy's than me!:)

Fortunately it's not a problem anymore. When I got my new 4S the sim just slotted in as it should. Does trying this type of thing invalidate your phones warranty? Say if you got it wrong and it jammed in?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Att will move your account money to a new sim but what they might not do is give you a MicroSIM on a go phone plan.

My vote is to do it right any get a sim cutter like I did.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Att will move your account money to a new sim but what they might not do is give you a MicroSIM on a go phone plan.

My vote is to do it right any get a sim cutter like I did.

ATT told me they can transfer me to a microSIM, only if I am an authorized user on the account. Trouble is, the SIM belonged to a relative who is now dead. that is actually why I have the SIM. So I don't know how they expect me to be added as an authorized user. I'm going to visit my nearest ATT store in person and hope that they are kind enough to help given the circumstances.

If that fails, then I am pretty much forced to cut the card. But using a card cutter is not ideal--the reviews for this cutter, for example show that people with the large-format chip (like German SIMs have apparently) messed up their SIM using a cutter. If done by hand, it can be done properly. This is why I posted my original two photos to ask which way to align the chip. (http://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Micro-Adapters-Apple-iPhone/product-reviews/B0045XR5IS/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R19A2WMPZGSD23

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Whether you use the cutter or not where you cut does not change. Actually there are templates that you can find online for where to cut. You could even use my second picture as an example.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Whether you use the cutter or not where you cut does not change. Actually there are templates that you can find online for where to cut. You could even use my second picture as an example.

It's not the SHAPE of the cut that is the concern. I already cut down two SIMs successfully--but they are the ones with the small chip and therefore easy to cut. The SIM with the big chip is my concern. One has to pay close attention to the circuit and where the lines are. That's why I posted those pictures!

There are two ways to align the card to achieve the same exact size microSIM. I found a link to a Website (which i also posted in the original post) that shows how to cut the SIM with large chip, but the site is not clear on where to align the circuit.

SporkLover's comment is the most valuable, and shows that the alignment is with the top, non-beveled side of the SIM card. But I just want to be absolutely sure.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It's not the SHAPE of the cut that is the concern. I already cut down two SIMs successfully--but they are the ones with the small chip and therefore easy to cut. The SIM with the big chip is my concern. One has to pay close attention to the circuit and where the lines are. That's why I posted those pictures!

There are two ways to align the card to achieve the same exact size microSIM. I found a link to a Website (which i also posted in the original post) that shows how to cut the SIM with large chip, but the site is not clear on where to align the circuit.

SporkLover's comment is the most valuable, and shows that the alignment is with the top, non-beveled side of the SIM card. But I just want to be absolutely sure.

I cut a few sims with the old style big round chip.
The sim cutter took some of the metal sim part off the circuit too but it still worked fine.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Definitely the top is what you are gonna cut after. Use a sharp razor blade and cut it along the side of the chip until you go through the card. This is what i have done, just take your time and you'll be fine!

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
There are two ways to align the card to achieve the same exact size microSIM.

Do not align anything, cut in the same place as shown that the cutter does. If you align it I am afraid you will end up with the contacts shifted off to one side. This might help, this is a real microSIM from ATT for my ipad. Note how the contacts are off to one side, this is the way it should be so they can line up with the metal fingers in the sim slot.

microSIM.png

The only thing that concerns me is that you may end up with the metal contacts in contact with the metal sim tray. You want to insulate them somehow, maybe with paint?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Or in other words neither of the pictures you posted in the first post look correct to me, that cut sim looks like it is slightly off to one side. It likely works because the amount it is off is less than the width of the contact.

As I have shown the amount of material you remove should be about the same on each side, as you can see with the leftovers I pictured.

sunsnewmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
success! I found another old SIM that has the large size chip. I cut it according to the top picture, aligning on the non-beveled side. Had to slice a little bit into the chip but ultimately it worked! So now, I just have to replicate the success with my ATT card :)

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
@sun

I paid close attention to where the sim appeared to be making contact (wear marks).

I made my template by lining those up and then trimming it down. Slowly slicing off the non metallic material until it fit in the sim holder.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.