Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Planning the following set-up but unsure if it will work (especially the audio part).

Got my movies stored on a NAS, hooked up to a home ethernet network. Now I want to push movies to my beamer (NAS-->ATV2-->Beamer). So far so good. My HiFi rack is, unfortunately, neither close to my beamer nor close to my NAS. So how do I get the audio stream to my hifi - 100% in sync with the video stream to the beamer. Should it be as easy as to go from NAS-->second ATV2-->HiFi? Anyone tried that and got it to work? Any alternative suggestions?

Appreciate your help. M.

jmhays

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
It works fine for me, I have my NAS located on the second floor of my house connected to a router in the basement using a ethernet cable. I go from the router to the AppleTV 2 and connect the AppleTV 2 into the receiver using the HDMI cable. The projector (or "Beamer") is connected to the receiver using a HDMI cable and sits 25 feet away from the "HiFi" rack.

I also have a AppleTV 2 in the living room on the main floor again connected using a ethernet cable. Streaming content, either audio or video from the AppleTV 2 to the TV works perfectly.

Magical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Thanks jmhays - interesting!
The only difference to my (planned) set up is that i cannot connect the HD projector to my receiver directly as it is too far away. Hence, I would need to (a) stream the video from the router to the first aTV, which is connected to the projector and (b) at the same time stream the audio to the second aTV, which is connected to the receiver/hifi. Anyone tried that yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.