Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
See my signature for our Macs (my wife's is the MBP and I have the MBA). I have two issues:

1. When I try to log into my MBA as a generic Network login, I get an error. It recognizes that my password is right but I get a log in error after awhile. Ideas? I have the "green light" when I set my directory server in the Login Options to XXXXXXX.local,

2. I'd really like to convert our Local User accounts to Network (Open Directory) users (in the end they will be Mobile accounts for obvious reasons). However, all the different processes I can find to complete the above just seems to fail. All that seem to end up happening is that I end up with local users on the server but not network users. Once I have completed this, I switch them over to Mobile (Which I'll need to figure out as well, but one step at a time).

I'm hoping someone can help!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I got it running under Snow Leopard Server. It might work the same under Lion Server (you didn't say what you have). You don't want to create a local account on the server. In fact you must not have a local account of the same name as the network account, so delete the local accounts first!

In Workgroup Manager (I believe it is a separate download with Lion Server), create a network account if necessary. Select the account and go to the "Home" pane. Click on the "+". The Share Point URL should be "afp://your.server.url/Users", the path to home folder should be the short user name, and the full path should be "/Network/Servers/your.server.url/Users/shortusername"

Click on "Create Home Now" and you should be good to go.

I hadn't tried mobile accounts because I decided that even using Network logins cause too much loss in performance when local and placed too much burden on the Mac mini server. Instead I synchronize important folders with Chronosync.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
I got it running under Snow Leopard Server. It might work the same under Lion Server (you didn't say what you have). You don't want to create a local account on the server. In fact you must not have a local account of the same name as the network account, so delete the local accounts first!

In Workgroup Manager (I believe it is a separate download with Lion Server), create a network account if necessary. Select the account and go to the "Home" pane. Click on the "+". The Share Point URL should be "afp://your.server.url/Users", the path to home folder should be the short user name, and the full path should be "/Network/Servers/your.server.url/Users/shortusername"

Click on "Create Home Now" and you should be good to go.

I hadn't tried mobile accounts because I decided that even using Network logins cause too much loss in performance when local and placed too much burden on the Mac mini server. Instead I synchronize important folders with Chronosync.

Thanks! I'll give that try tonight!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.