Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PMont

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
okay, there's already been a thread posted about this problem: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/892304/

But I've spent countless hours on this thing, and it just doesnt seem to work. Heres the situation:

1. The iPhone is totally dead and asks to be charged, plug it in, says its charging.

2. The screen says its charging, eventually the Apple logo appears.

3. After a few seconds of the Apple logo, the spinner appears on top of the Apple logo, along with a bit of random colour distortion in the top corner of the screen?

4. Exactly 10 minutes, the spinner and logo will stay, sometimes the spinner freezes, but no difference.

5. After these 10 minutes, the screen will flash and then go back to a dead battery.

So no buttons are responsive at all, I cant do anything, cause its either, spinning wheel of death, or dead battery. Theres no way to put it into DFU or into Recovery, unless i follow the guide in the link above, but it just doesnt seem to work at ALL. I press the buttons when it blinks but it just always go back to the charging screen (Mind you, the phone is plugged in throughout this whole process)

And the iPhone isn't detected by the computer either! So no clue on what to do now.

Can anyone help?

PirateMike

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Eastern NC
Sorry..

The best guess here is it's dead. If you cannot get it to go into Recovery, the problem is serious.
Really, the best thing to do is to take it to the Genius Bar at an Apple store.

Not a great answer but after all you've tried........

stagepuppy

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
I had a similar problem in which after both restoring and recovering, my 3GS would get stuck at the spinning wheel, and this was after about 5 tries of restoring and/or recovering. I had a local shop diagnose it and the tech said that it was most likely the battery was bad and would not allow the circuitry to function properly. He gave me a guarantee that if it didn't work, he would not charge me for it, and sure enough after replacement, it worked normally again. If you do this yourself, it can be very cheap, I paid $60 for the battery and recovery, which I'm not upset at all, since I could easily be out $200 for a broken 3GS and another $300 for a new 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.