Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyServ9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
I have an iPhone 3g as well as an iPhone 4. The iPhone 3g is almost two years old, and used to work fine, but now it won't connect to my computer or to iTunes. The iPhone 4 has the most recent software on it, however the iPhone 3g has not been upgraded to even iOS 4 out of fear of it slowing down the phone too much. The iPhone 3g will however charge with a specific car charger, but not through a computer or wall outlets. I am looking to be able to get it to connect to iTunes so that I can back it up. I have already tried the following things.

-turning the phone off and then on again
-resetting the phone by holding down the lock button and home button
-I have tried using different USB cables and diferent USB ports (all of which work perfectly with the iPhone 4)
-I have also tried using different computers; one windows, and one a Mac(iPhone 4 connects to both, but the 3g does not) (the Mac does have the most recent version of iTunes, but i'm not sure about the toshiba)
-I have tried restarting the computers

Even if there is a problem with the phone I need to be able to find a way to back up all of the contacts and photos that are on there before switching to a newer iPhone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.