Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
I'm looking for some good earphones - not too big - looking for something like the earphones that come with the iphone but with better sound quality - they need to work with my iphone (mic required)

SCARY GAY DAD

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2011
DISNEYLAND
Apple earbuds are not IEM. Also, read ALL audiophile literature with a HUGE HUGE HUGE grain of salt.

Try the Yuin PK3. Yuin's other "higher-end" models will require a headphone amp to really reap the sound quality benefits.

-SGD

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Apple earbuds are not IEM. Also, read ALL audiophile literature with a HUGE HUGE HUGE grain of salt.

Try the Yuin PK3. Yuin's other "higher-end" models will require a headphone amp to really reap the sound quality benefits.

-SGD

true about the IEM but hard to get real quality with bud devices.Also true about reviews I tend to look at several before deciding myself... Oh btw I always meant to say love the handle.

jeffsaha

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
I have a pair of yuin PK2s and they work really well, but I was also looking at the UE 500vi to be able to skip tracks and volume control and stuff

SCARY GAY DAD

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2011
DISNEYLAND
true about the IEM but hard to get real quality with bud devices.Also true about reviews I tend to look at several before deciding myself... Oh btw I always meant to say love the handle.
Most reviews I've read on "audiophile" sites and magazine are ridiculous. Anyone who's familiar with the scientific method would find these "reviews" absolutely atrocious. XYZ headphone is bright but dancy? WTF is that supposed to mean? What's "bright" and "dancy" for one person may not be for another. And yet, you'll have a 10 page thread discussing how much dancier ABC headphone is. WTF??!?!? Also, these reviews almost never have a control and never account for the placebo effect. That's what A/Bing is for. The only reviews I ever bother reading are those that A/B against a reference headphone I'm familiar with so I can get a rough idea of how much more/less clarity, treble, mids, lows, etc. XYZ headphone have over ABC headphone. If I spend more than 5 minutes on any of these websites or magazines, I start to rage, not because of the poor methodology, but because so many people actually buy into the bullcrap and industry marketing.

People should read pages 5-8 of this primer into "audiophilia" before they get their feet wet.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_issues/The_Audio_Critic_26_r.pdf

-SGD

P.S. I've done blindfolded A/B tests with "audiophiles" to see if they can hear the difference in headphones that have 100+ hours of burn-in. They never can if blindfolded LOL.

Last edited:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I have never read reviews like that in head-fi but any audiophile dancy I never heard that before lol. any audiophile is a little ocd about music sound. I also like to check amazon newegg etc. reviews since you have everybody in that mix and also here more about build quality there. everyday users and oh yeah they are brief. and of course allot of it comes down to ones ears. mine I know aren't as good as they used to be.

cinek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
V-moda makes some good earphones avnd some so so check reviews or provide a link. whats your budget and are you looking for strictly bud types or are IEM's ok I also like they Mee products they offer allot of bang for the buck. http://www.meelec.com/default.asp last along time too.

pretty much anything is better then apples!

my budget is max £100

I don't mind either bud types or IEM's

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
my budget is max £100

I don't mind either bud types or IEM's

you will get better sound with IEM's recommend

Klipsh s4I and at least in the US it's on sale for $61 Us that's a steel. at that price I don't think I could recommend any other.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-S4i-P...GYMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325094808&sr=8-1 here is the UK link 49.99 UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-S4i...GYMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325094977&sr=8-1

I would really jump on this! there is no way you won't notice a huge difference.

Last edited:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
so the urbanears and the MEElectronics both are within my budget... what is better? I've been procrastinating b/c I don't know what to get!

HELP!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
if you can swing the $61 for the klipsh I think you will be very happy. I Hagee no experience with the urbanears myself. But I have bought a few things from mee. There customer service is great. I also think they are good bang for the buck. I just preordered a Bluetooth headphone from them for $65. They are also having a sale at there site 40% off some of the headphones. That's where they get me I tend to collect IEM's heck I have a few I could sell.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
if you can swing the $61 for the klipsh I think you will be very happy. I Hagee no experience with the urbanears myself. But I have bought a few things from mee. There customer service is great. I also think they are good bang for the buck. I just preordered a Bluetooth headphone from them for $65. They are also having a sale at there site 40% off some of the headphones. That's where they get me I tend to collect IEM's heck I have a few I could sell.

Thanks for the input. It looks like all of the MEElec have 90 degree earphone jacks. Does this cause a problem when used with a case (I have an otterbox commuter)?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I'll have to do some more digging. I just got the M9P's to hold me over until I decide on what I really want. I figure it won't hurt to have a "cheap" pair lying around anyway...

cinek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
narrowed it down to either bose mie2i or B&W C5 - which one would be better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.