Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
That's an incredible deal, plus the specs look to include a 750gb drive as well. I am almost tempted myself but my MBP is only a 13 months old

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I just purchased a used Macbook Pro - now I need to flip it :) I could not resist that deal - original $2199

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I just purchased a used Macbook Pro - now I need to flip it :) I could not resist that deal - original $2199

Hey Spink - how much warranty did it come left with? I am tempted to pull the trigger on one of these, but I'm afraid it'll come with a warranty expiring in February. I guess there's no real way to know, but I was just curious.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Hey Spink - how much warranty did it come left with? I am tempted to pull the trigger on one of these, but I'm afraid it'll come with a warranty expiring in February. I guess there's no real way to know, but I was just curious.

Strictly speaking the warranty should begin the day you turn it On - and then register it. This is even true with a returned Mac that is resold from local stores like Best Buy. In that case you may need to call Apple and show the date of sale, then they will reset the warranty to begin on that day.

Here is how to check your warranty
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do?newid=y

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Strictly speaking the warranty should begin the day you turn it On - and then register it. This is even true with a returned Mac that is resold from local stores like Best Buy. In that case you may need to call Apple and show the date of sale, then they will reset the warranty to begin on that day.

Here is how to check your warranty
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do?newid=y

And if it doesn't you can email apple and they will change the date to your purchase date. I love Amazon's Warehouse deals.

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

Even though I ordered Dec 30th and picked one day shipping and I am a prime member - not getting here until Wednesday Jan 4th - If I cannot get apple to move the purchase date - or the date is older than 3 months - ill just return for complete refund and have them pay for shipping :) - maybe try flip it on craigslist first and then return if not satisfied with their description of "like new".

I have always loved Amazon - but their customer service on this order has placed a bad flavor in my mouth :(

----------

And if it doesn't you can email apple and they will change the date to your purchase date. I love Amazon's Warehouse deals.

good to know - im pumped about my MBP - my other used one I bought at the first of December is now on craigslist - hope I can make a few dollars off it.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Spink, you should have no worries. My MBP is also purchased from Amazon but I did not fire it up until two days after I received it and that was the date when my 1 year warranty officially began - I checked it with the link I included in my post above. So it is not the date of sale, it is the date it is turned On - unless it is purchased direct from Apple.

If you love Amazon, as I do, I hope you have a Amazon credit card. My Chase/Amazon card gives me 3 points for all Amazon sales - that's 3% savings ;)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Spink, you should have no worries. My MBP is also purchased from Amazon but I did not fire it up until two days after I received it and that was the date when my 1 year warranty officially began - I checked it with the link I included in my post above. So it is not the date of sale, it is the date it is turned On - unless it is purchased direct from Apple.

If you love Amazon, as I do, I hope you have a Amazon credit card. My Chase/Amazon card gives me 3 points for all Amazon sales - that's 3% savings ;)

I think the OP's concerns are with the fact they bought a used computer from Amazon, so technically the warranty would have started from when the original owner first started the computer.

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I think the OP's concerns are with the fact they bought a used computer from Amazon, so technically the warranty would have started from when the original owner first started the computer.

Yup - Open Box Item from Amazon - I dont mind calling Apple and asking them to move the date if need be. I pride myself on getting what I want from companies (as long as it is someone reasonable) You talk to enough people/supervisors and someone will help you if your polite and kind and persistent.

macfan74318

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
When you get your machine could you tell us the quality of the MacBook Pro? It says Like New but I wanted to know what Amazon's definition of Like New is.

Thanks
macfan74318

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey

I misread, but you are correct. In either case my understanding is that open box deals still get the same as new warranty but the new owner has to contact Apple and mail or in this case, email, as copy of the sales receipt. I had looked into this matter/policy about a year ago so I am confident.

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I misread, but you are correct. In either case my understanding is that open box deals still get the same as new warranty but the new owner has to contact Apple and mail or in this case, email, as copy of the sales receipt. I had looked into this matter/policy about a year ago so I am confident.

I like this news!

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne

I like this news!

I do too, I just snagged one. Couldn't resist at $1339 and change. That model has been my favorite MacBook Pro I've owned, I regretted selling it for an Air. Hopefully they'll be able to update my warranty accordingly.

I have prime and opted for the one day shipping for $4, will update on the condition and such when I receive it, but my experience with amazon warehouse deals has been top notch.

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I do too, I just snagged one. Couldn't resist at $1339 and change. That model has been my favorite MacBook Pro I've owned, I regretted selling it for an Air. Hopefully they'll be able to update my warranty accordingly.

I have prime and opted for the one day shipping for $4, will update on the condition and such when I receive it, but my experience with amazon warehouse deals has been top notch.

I also opted for one day shipping - when did you order? when is it suppose to arrive?

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I ordered it a few hours ago and the expected delivery date is Wednesday, January 4th. You?

Dec 30th - expected delivery Wed Jan 4th - I called them and they gave me some excuse - just more recourse against them if I need to return it for full refund and have them pay shipping I guess. I also opted for one day delivery (prime member).

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Dec 30th - expected delivery Wed Jan 4th - I called them and they gave me some excuse - just more recourse against them if I need to return it for full refund and have them pay shipping I guess. I also opted for one day delivery (prime member).

I think the holiday messed with their delivery schedule a lot. I ordered something else from amazon on the 30th and used regular prime, not going to arrive until Thursday. They're awesome more often than not, though, so I'm not going to force the issue. Just hoping the warranty situation on this item is as straightforward as some people have said. Getting them to make change the date to a full year would be perfection, but I'll be happy as long as it's at least 6 months.

macfan74318

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
If you are using UPS Shipping there will be some issues due to the weather. Also when I called AppleCare they said that all you had to do is have a proof of purchase and they could reset the purchase date. BUt it must be done as soon as you get the laptop.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
The last two mondays there was no shipping since it was a holiday - banks, stock market, post office are all closed. Ordering on Saturday the 30th means shipping doesn't happen until Tuesday 2nd.

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
The last two mondays there was no shipping since it was a holiday - banks, stock market, post office are all closed. Ordering on Saturday the 30th means shipping doesn't happen until Tuesday 2nd.

It shipped yesterday at 6:40 AM from Hebron KY...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.