Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ibooks-150x207.jpg

A rumored Apple event to be located in New York City later this month was originally reported to be "media-related" and not about an Apple television or iPad update. TechCrunch now reports the event will be focused on publishing and the iBookstore.
According to the source the event will not involve any hardware at and instead will focus on publishing and eBooks (sold through Apple's iBooks platform) rather than iAds. Attendance also be more publishing industry-oriented than consumer.
One possible topic of the event is an expansion of the iBookstore to sell textbooks. In his biography of Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson said the textbook industry was one Jobs looking to revolutionize with the iPad.

Article Link: Apple's January Event to Focus on Publishing and eBooks

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Well, I never really expected that because iBooks hasn't exactly felt like an important part of iOS. Maybe Apple's looking to change that?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Makes sense. I wouldn't expect a NY-based event to be anything major. It's not Apple's home turf, but is the publishing capital of the US.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I will have to wait and see on this one. If it is text books, it makes sense that apple try to reach the biggest college audience possible with an announcement. Don't see why it has to be in NYC yet though.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
an media event for ibooks?? doubt it. Gotta be something else

Introduction of "The Daily" had its own media event. Besides, who says it's going to be just about iBooks. Maybe they scored some compelling magazine partnerships. I would personally love to see foray into textbooks as well.

If Apple is smart, they can totally undercut Barnes & Noble and Amazon by scoring some major "print media" deals and further expanding iBookstore and Newsstand.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Introduction of "The Daily" had its own media event. Besides, who says it's going to be just about iBooks. Maybe they scored some compelling magazine partnerships. I would personally love to see foray into textbooks as well.

If Apple is smart, they can totally undercut Barnes & Noble and Amazon by scoring some major "print media" deals and further expanding iBookstore and Newsstand.

true, but the daily was held by the daily, not apple.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Current textbook apps for iPad are very bad. I expect Apple not only to unvail iPublishing, but a new TextBook app to defeat all current apps. It will become THE way college students study. Imagine having a searchable annotations per textbook instead of having to use little sticky notes!

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Hopefully we will be able to read iBooks on our macs now, its kind of ridiculous that you need an iOS device to read a book and that a beautiful 11, 13, 21, or 27 inch screen on a Mac is deemed unworthy of displaying text.

A web-based interface would also be nice if someone decides to use another platform for mobile devices, kind of like Amazon now provides.

Apple needs be as ubiquitous as Amazon in this department to catch up. Otherwise, even Apple fans like me will buy books from Amazon forever.

(I feel safer buying from Amazon Kindle store since I know I can always access/read my Amazon content from anywhere and any device, where as with iBooks I know I'll only be able to read them on my iPad/iPhone).

ferdinandcc

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
Caloocan City, Philippines
Current textbook apps for iPad are very bad. I expect Apple not only to unvail iPublishing, but a new TextBook app to defeat all current apps. It will become THE way college students study. Imagine having a searchable annotations per textbook instead of having to use little sticky notes!

Inkling is very nice. I'd love to hear that they purchased Inkling and are incorporating its functionality into iBooks (as long as they can do it without ruining the experience).

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
If it does involve textbooks, I wish they would have done it earlier in the month. Classes for me start on January 17, and I'll probably have my books bought by then. They're missing a large window by doing it a week after classes start.

corymcnulty

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
Part of me says Apple will announce a feature that would allow users that paid a certain amount of money to read any book they want in the iBooks library. It would be like an online library.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Maybe they will also expand iBooks to work on Macs and PCs? That's one big advantage that the Kindle platform has over iBooks right now.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
As a college student, considering how popular Apple products are with us, and our collective hatred for overencumbering textbooks, digital textbooks would be a welcome change. Hopefully these eBooks would be accompanied by an iBooks app for Windows/Mac desktops.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If it does involve textbooks, I wish they would have done it earlier in the month. Classes for me start on January 17, and I'll probably have my books bought by then. They're missing a large window by doing it a week after classes start.

From the techcrunch piece:

Attendance will also be more publishing industry-oriented than consumer.

I don't think they will be releasing much, if anything, for consumers at this event. It's for the publishers.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
iTextbooks

Sure hope this is true and that Apple can apply the same rules to textbooks as to regular ebooks. E-Textbooks sort of suck right now. I don't like the renting model. Charging over $200 for a single textbook is a rip off, and charging over $100 for 6 months of digital access isn't any better. At the very least they should give you the PDF copy. I wouldn't mind the rental model if it applied to all textbooks like the way some music services work.

titan1um

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
iBooks on iCloud? iBooks for Mac? With synchronization with all devices, similar to the Kindle line of apps.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
As a college student, I have to say, unless the pricing is SUPER competitive, as in books are 50% less than I can purchase used, I'm gonna stick with paper. Why? Resale value. Can't resell an e-book too easily, now, can I? :rolleyes:

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.1;FBBV/4100.0;FBDV/iPad2,3;FBMD/iPad;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/1; FBCR/Verizon;FBID/tablet;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

Maybe Apple will do for book publishing what they did for Podcasts. Only this time, you can sell your work. Maybe an update to Pages to allow easy ebooks for amateurs without publishing companies. The return of 'Zines and amateur comics, digital school and community newsletters. Add textbooks and now it's worthy of an event. I'd love to get my community newspaper in iBooks or Newstand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.