Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hi,

If the iPhone 4S is connected to both WiFi and 3G, will it use the WiFi automatically over the 3G, or do you have to specifically choose one, turn the other off or something?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I turn on Airplane mode as well as turning on WiFi.

This assures the phone uses Wifi only, since 3G is turned off completely.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I turn on Airplane mode as well as turning on WiFi.

This assures the phone uses Wifi only, since 3G is turned off completely.

Yeah, that'd save battery as well, would it... However then you wouldn't be able to send texts and do phone calls, so I think I'm all good with the 3G being turned on, as long as its not used when there's WiFi.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah, but just keep in mind that iMessages go over 3G ... even if you're connected to WiFi. So sending a lot of picture messages via iMessage will cut through your data bucket.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, but just keep in mind that iMessages go over 3G ... even if you're connected to WiFi. So sending a lot of picture messages via iMessage will cut through your data bucket.

Thats all good... I'll only be sending SMS text messages when I do use iMessage, and they use up barely any data.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle

Then why does it work on wifi only iPads?

iMessages uses whichever data connection you have are on, if it's wifi, then it uses wifi first, as well.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010

This is false. Nowhere does Apple state iMessage is sent via 3G only.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle

Exactly! That's why it works on wifi iPads and iPods.

Here's Apple's page on the iOS 5 features, including iMessage:

http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Then why does it work on wifi only iPads?

iMessages uses whichever data connection you have are on, if it's wifi, then it uses wifi first, as well.

On the iPhone, iMessages are prioritized over 3G because it's more "secure". It works over WiFi if you've got an iPad or iPod because you simply don't have a 3G connection.

Here you go: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4956/apple-ios-5-review/3

Found this to be the case for me as well. iMessages for whatever reason hang when I have WiFi on and cellular data off at my school, but if I have WiFi on and cellular data on, iMessages get sent because it doesn't even attempt to use WiFi. There's something in my school's network that stops iMessages from going through, but my point is that 3G is prioritized. The only way you can force your iPhone to send iMessages over WiFi is if you disable cellular data.

However, according to the article, attachments are not specifically prioritized over 3G as are normal messages. So we're both half right on this one. And I take back what I said regarding picture messages in post 6 since that doesn't seem to be the case.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I don't know if this is a bug or feature but I had the iPhone connect to 3G when on Wifi because the wifi network did not have an internet connection. Quite convenient but it gave no warning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.