Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parrotheadcubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I have been ripping blu rays for a while now and have only recently started getting into Apple products. The majority of my files are all ripped into .m2ts files for streaming use through Windows Media Center. I am now doing a seperate collection for Apple TV 2 use mainly for my daughters movies. When I recently ripped How To Train Your Dragon, I used Pav Tube blu ray ripper as I have for some time.

I used the Apple TV setting and noticed after burning that the movie had black bars on the sides, top and bottom of the screen with the movie in the center of that. I'm sure my settings were correct prior to ripping. Any thoughts as to why this is? The TV is 16:9 so that's not the issue. The setting during ripping was 1280x720, .H264

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I have been ripping blu rays for a while now and have only recently started getting into Apple products. The majority of my files are all ripped into .m2ts files for streaming use through Windows Media Center. I am now doing a seperate collection for Apple TV 2 use mainly for my daughters movies. When I recently ripped How To Train Your Dragon, I used Pav Tube blu ray ripper as I have for some time.

I used the Apple TV setting and noticed after burning that the movie had black bars on the sides, top and bottom of the screen with the movie in the center of that. I'm sure my settings were correct prior to ripping. Any thoughts as to why this is? The TV is 16:9 so that's not the issue. The setting during ripping was 1280x720, .H264

I have read that it is a setting issue. I have a few older DVDs that play the way you are describing and have been told that a bit was not set correctly on the disc.

Go back and review all settings and make sure you have the video settings correctly. Sorry I cannot be more help. I have never burned a BD, just DVDs using Handbrake.

parrotheadcubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I tried another one last night and it did the same thing. Super frustrating. So now I'm trying again and told the program to just do it's own optimal settings. We'll see.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I used Pav Tube blu ray ripper
Try Handbrake with the ATV2 preset, it will automatically crop the black bars. You don't need to mess with any other settings, but I'd suggest dropping the CRF to 17 to get better video quality (21 doesn't look too good to me). It will accept your m2ts files.

parrotheadcubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Try Handbrake with the ATV2 preset, it will automatically crop the black bars. You don't need to mess with any other settings, but I'd suggest dropping the CRF to 17 to get better video quality (21 doesn't look too good to me). It will accept your m2ts files.

I didn't realize that Handbrake would accept .m2ts files, I had always thought it would only take an .mkv file. Do you think Handbrake will take the file that I ripped with pav tube that is showing the bars and allow me to apply the Handbrake Apple TV settings?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I didn't realize that Handbrake would accept .m2ts files, I had always thought it would only take an .mkv file. Do you think Handbrake will take the file that I ripped with pav tube that is showing the bars and allow me to apply the Handbrake Apple TV settings?
HB supports a lot of input containers.

You could use the output from pavtube, but you'll still have to re-encode the whole thing. I'd just re-encode the source with HB; you'll get better quality (in theory) if you encode from the source, rather than a second-generation encode.

parrotheadcubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012

You could use the output from pavtube, but you'll still have to re-encode the whole thing. I'd just re-encode the source with HB; you'll get better quality (in theory) if you encode from the source, rather than a second-generation encode.

But HB doesn't do away with the copyrights correct? Thus I'd still have rip from pavtube to a .mkv file and then encode in HB to create the Apple Tv file.

parrotheadcubs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012

I was under the impression that HB didn't bypass copyrights? Therefore I would still need to use an outside program to rip to .mkv and then use HB to encode that, correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.