Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomHavoc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Alright, Apple's official forums page has failed me completely, here's hoping you guys can best them!

I have 2 user id's on my MacBook. I'm planning on getting rid of one. I've consolidated everything else I need to onto 1 user account, except I don't know how to do it with my itunes libraries. I would guess I could do it by putting something into the shared folder, but I really don't want to mess this up. I want to keep not only the songs but I also want to keep all the playlists.

Any and all suggestions very welcome. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm running on Lion with up to date iTunes.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Copy the folder ~/Music/iTunes Music folder from your old user account A to user account B (place it on the desktop).

Then drag that folder onto your iTunes library and it will add the music to your library.

As far as the playlists. You need to select each playlist one-by-one, and click File > Library > Export Playlist... and choose M3U as the format. Then in user account B just open all of the M3U files or choose File > Library > Import Playlist.

RandomHavoc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Copy the folder ~/Music/iTunes Music folder from your old user account A to user account B (place it on the desktop).

Then drag that folder onto your iTunes library and it will add the music to your library.

As far as the playlists. You need to select each playlist one-by-one, and click File > Library > Export Playlist... and choose M3U as the format. Then in user account B just open all of the M3U files or choose File > Library > Import Playlist.

I've tried this now, and it all worked EXCEPT that when I import the M3U files into account B it imported nothing except the title, no songs inside (which obviously is useless).
Can anyone tell me how to do this so I don't have to rebuild every playlist? PLEASE! Thanks :)

njain

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
export the playlists as xml instead. this worked for me when i got a new computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.