Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Help Help! So I received my back light apple logo mod today and I started to install it except I got stuck at the easiest part... Taking off the back cover hah... So if anyone can help me I have all the tools I need but one of the screws won't come out! I clearly see it got stripped some how so I don't know what to do!!

If anyone had any tips for me I would really appreciate it so much!!

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Help Help! So I received my back light apple logo mod today and I started to install it except I got stuck at the easiest part... Taking off the back cover hah... So if anyone can help me I have all the tools I need but one of the screws won't come out! I clearly see it got stripped some how so I don't know what to do!!

If anyone had any tips for me I would really appreciate it so much!!

The two screws near the dock connector are called "pentalobular screws," they do look different, and may not actually be stripped?

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Well yeah I know that, I already got one out.... On my old 4 I had switched out back many times with no issues... Now with my 4S only one screw comes out just find and the other is definitely stripped... It won't turn at all so I need some help lol there has to be a way!!

RS232

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Well yeah I know that, I already got one out.... On my old 4 I had switched out back many times with no issues... Now with my 4S only one screw comes out just find and the other is definitely stripped... It won't turn at all so I need some help lol there has to be a way!!

I'm in the same situation! Did some Googling and may try a tiny drop of superglue and a filed down old screwdriver! Let it set and get the silly thing out slowly. Have to buy a new set of screws - Philips ones next time!

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
I'm in the same situation! Did some Googling and may try a tiny drop of superglue and a filed down old screwdriver! Let it set and get the silly thing out slowly. Have to buy a new set of screws - Philips ones next time!

Was just going to post this, superglue works great on stripped screws. Make sure you don't use gorilla glue though, that stuff will leave a white stain around the screw. Acetone and a bit of scraping will soften & remove any excess superglue, just be sure to keep it off of plastic

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Well I appreciate u linking me to screw grab stuff but I was hoping for something I can do now and today haha

But yea as far as the Glue part. I have heard from many this had worked so what exactly do I do....
Put a tiny but of glue on the screwdriver and then hold it on the screw for a while and try and unscrew it out? I really don't wanna get any glue on my phone haha so any tips appreciated it but looks like I will be trying this!

And also where can we get another set of screws for iPhone 4S?? Thanks a lot macrumors! You guys always help a fellow apple user out!

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
If the stripping isn't terrible, a small flat blade driver will work. However, everybody else's suggestions work better for more severe stripped heads.

someyounguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
before adding any type of liquids or getting to crazy, try this first-

if the screw will at least spin with a screwdriver, then apply pressure upwards on your backplate in the same direction that you would push to remove the plate while simultaneously turning the screw to loosen it(to the left). You should notice the plate slightly rising, meaning the screw is loosening. When you get to a point where the plate will go no further, slide the plate back down- the screw should be loosened far enough for you to take it off with your fingers.

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
But see that's my problem! The screw won't turn at all!!! I have 2 different screw drivers and I'm sittin here right now tryin to do this and it just won't budge at all!!! This Is crazy I have never had this much of an issue with a screw before, I tried putting a rubber band between the driver and screw and that didn't work either ughhh and I have no super glue so I may have to run out to home depot or radio shack to get some I don't know!! Any other ideas???

learjet767

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
The same thing happened to me, I tried everything from the rubber band to super glue to no avail. What you have to do is drill the head of the screw out with a very tiny drill bit. I would get some professional help if i were you with someone who is experienced with those tools because it requires a good amount of precision. Essentially, once you drill out the head of the screw, all you have to do is pull the back plate off. You'll lose the screw, so i suggest you order some new ones. Get the Phillips screws if you want to avoid the hassle again.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
But see that's my problem! The screw won't turn at all!!! I have 2 different screw drivers and I'm sittin here right now tryin to do this and it just won't budge at all!!! This Is crazy I have never had this much of an issue with a screw before, I tried putting a rubber band between the driver and screw and that didn't work either ughhh and I have no super glue so I may have to run out to home depot or radio shack to get some I don't know!! Any other ideas???

Super glue is a buck at walmart. Just get it and do what these guys are saying rather than hoping for a remedy with items you already have at home.

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Well I finally got them out and mod is completed! It's really sick! Many complements so far on it haha

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327044905.350283.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327044905.350283.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 959
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327044917.826362.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327044917.826362.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 1,097

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Used a really sharp but small blade and literly just turned it till it popped out haha and got 2 new screws from apple they just gave me 2 for free

applemonkey

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2008
which light mod did you go with? Also is the light on all the time or only when the phone is unlocked?

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Used a really sharp but small blade and literly just turned it till it popped out haha and got 2 new screws from apple they just gave me 2 for free

Did you get them from a physical Apple Store's genius bar? or did you call Apple. My iphone 4s was purchased Thanksgiving 2011 so I'm just out of warranty. I ordered a replacement backplate since mine was shattered and my little brother just switched it out for me. But he said he couldn't do anything with the bottom screws which are now sticking out. He said he "stripped" them but I saw on the thread that these aren't just Phillip screws so I guess I just need a tool to tighten them all the way. Or maybe they are stripped and I need replacements

I want to sell this phone because I now have an iphone 5. But wanted to have this bottom screw issue resolved before I sell it for the new buyer.

Last edited:

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Well this is an old thread lol, but if you wanna get the screws out, all I did was take sharp blade/knife and just turn it really hard and get the screw out. If there is an apple repair shop near you I would take it there, whatever you Do don't bring it to apple though.

Good luck!

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland

Did you get them from a physical Apple Store's genius bar? or did you call Apple. My iphone 4s was purchased Thanksgiving 2011 so I'm just out of warranty. I ordered a replacement backplate since mine was shattered and my little brother just switched it out for me. But he said he couldn't do anything with the bottom screws which are now sticking out. He said he "stripped" them but I saw on the thread that these aren't just Phillip screws so I guess I just need a tool to tighten them all the way. Or maybe they are stripped and I need replacements

I want to sell this phone because I now have an iphone 5. But wanted to have this bottom screw issue resolved before I sell it for the new buyer.

Went to the Apple store a few days ago. Even though my phone was out of warranty (though not by too long - just a couple of weeks), the replaced the scews for me. Now it's on ebay

Redfive5

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
If you have removed a little bit of the screw before it stripped, and the screw is sticking a tiny bit above the metal, nail clippers work much more effectively than needle nose pliers to pry to screw out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.