Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
I have a device (Trimble TSC2 data collector running Windows Mobile 5) that I am trying to tether to my iphone. Problem is the device will not read WPA2, it will only read WEP encryption. It will not recognize any services when I pair them via bluetooth, the services page just remains blank. I would just prefer to USB tether it but I can find any apps that have drivers for Windows Mobile 5. So I figured my best option would be an encryption free tethering App. I have tried both MiWi 5.0 and PdaNet with no luck.

What are my options?

Flyinb

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2010
I have a device (Trimble TSC2 data collector running Windows Mobile 5) that I am trying to tether to my iphone. Problem is the device will not read WPA2, it will only read WEP encryption. It will not recognize any services when I pair them via bluetooth, the services page just remains blank. I would just prefer to USB tether it but I can find any apps that have drivers for Windows Mobile 5. So I figured my best option would be an encryption free tethering App. I have tried both MiWi 5.0 and PdaNet with no luck.

What are my options?

Not sure what the problem with MyWi is as it lets you use encryption or not, tethered with usb and MyWi encryption is not even used.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Not sure what the problem with MyWi is as it lets you use encryption or not, tethered with usb and MyWi encryption is not even used.

From the app on the Wifi Security Settings Page
"Currently, MyWi 5.0 only supports WPA2 on the iPhone 4S. Note: WPA is AES only (no TKIP)"

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Not sure if there is but I wouldn't want to be tethering anything know that my personal hotspot is not protected/encrytped.

Where I need the unsecured tethering (because my device will not read a WPA 2 encryption) I am usually far out in the woods or in the middle of a gravel pit, not anybody close enough by to tap it.

macbookman83

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2011
New York
Where I need the unsecured tethering (because my device will not read a WPA 2 encryption) I am usually far out in the woods or in the middle of a gravel pit, not anybody close enough by to tap it.

Whoa. I won't be messing with you.... I don't want to end up in the woods or a gravel pit...... Especially without a secure connection to call for help......... I kid:rolleyes:

I believe there is an app called TetherMe in cydia for $5. It uses the same APN track of the iphone and I believe it allows you to enable/diable wireless protection.

Let me know if that works....

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Whoa. I won't be messing with you.... I don't want to end up in the woods or a gravel pit...... Especially without a secure connection to call for help......... I kid:rolleyes:

I believe there is an app called TetherMe in cydia for $5. It uses the same APN track of the iphone and I believe it allows you to enable/diable wireless protection.

Let me know if that works....

TetherMe uses the same settings if you do legit Wifi. It will not let me disable the security or change to a different type of security.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't be feeding him any more info.

Encryption is there for a reason.

Sounds malicious to me.

How can it be malicious? If there's a way to disable the encryption he'd only be able to do it on a phone he has physical access to. If he already has physical access, he could just set the pass to whatever he wants and do all the malicious crap he wants

Anyway to answer the OP, I am unaware of a way to disable encryption. Only thing I could think of doing would be to set a router as a repeater bridge, and broadcast the virtual ssid with no encryption. But lugging around a router kinda defeats the purpose of having a mobile hotspot...

Can your WM5 device make BT networks?

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
How can it be malicious? If there's a way to disable the encryption he'd only be able to do it on a phone he has physical access to. If he already has physical access, he could just set the pass to whatever he wants and do all the malicious crap he wants

Anyway to answer the OP, I am unaware of a way to disable encryption. Only thing I could think of doing would be to set a router as a repeater bridge, and broadcast the virtual ssid with no encryption. But lugging around a router kinda defeats the purpose of having a mobile hotspot...

Can your WM5 device make BT networks?

First off, nothing malicious is going on here. I connect a Trimble R8 GPS receiver to a TSC2 Data Collector (which is done and works) and in order to do a RTK survery I need the TSC2 to have a data connection. We previously did this with a Blackberry. But that phone died and we are trying to do it without having to maintain a phone contract for just the GPS uniy, which would be silly since we don't use it more than 1 day a month in the winter and 5 days a month in the summer.

The WM5 device does do bluetooth. Thats how it connects to the GPS receiver and the old Blackberry. When I connect my iphone it gives me zero options for what to share (with the blackberry I could check modem and something else). So bluetooth has yet to work. I installed BTSTACK but I am not sure how to tell the tethering app to use the BTSTACK profile over the default iOS bluetooth.

I would much prefer a USB connection for the sake of battery life, but I need a windows mobile 5 driver and I can't find one. I understand the drive is built into itunes and there is no way I can put itunes on the WM5 device.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Any fresh ideas on this before I go put money down on a MiFi and another data plan next week?

eleven7

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
If you don't mind USB tethering, won't MiWi work under a USB only tether?
Don't have MiWi installed anymore so can't say for sure but I thought you could setup a network without any drivers?

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
What makes you think MiFi will work?

MiFi as in the separate box that is sold as a 3g Access Point (Not to be confused with MyWi) The sales people have reassured me many times that I can disable all encryption on those.

Last edited:

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
If you don't mind USB tethering, won't MiWi work under a USB only tether?
Don't have MiWi installed anymore so can't say for sure but I thought you could setup a network without any drivers?

I would prefer USB, but MyWi (the Software in the iphone 4s) seems to want a driver to the device I plug in. It seems to be the same driver if I did native tethering which is built into itunes. Can't put itunes on the device I am trying to connect.

As for a wireless network the iphone 4s requires WPA 2 encryption, no way to turn it off.

propsect

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
Did you find solution TSC2

I would prefer USB, but MyWi (the Software in the iphone 4s) seems to want a driver to the device I plug in. It seems to be the same driver if I did native tethering which is built into itunes. Can't put itunes on the device I am trying to connect.

As for a wireless network the iphone 4s requires WPA 2 encryption, no way to turn it off.

I am a surveyor in Florida keys

I just rented a Trimble r6 with a tsc 2 - thought I could use wifi hotspot to connnect..... having same encryption issue

did you find a solution or a driver for the usb connection??

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
I am a surveyor in Florida keys

I just rented a Trimble r6 with a tsc 2 - thought I could use wifi hotspot to connnect..... having same encryption issue

did you find a solution or a driver for the usb connection??

Well the new MyWi lets you do no encryption with the 4s. I ended up getting the Virgin Mobile pay as you go hotspot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.