Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Does 10 gigabytes of usage for a Wordpress site sound normal?

30avnme.png

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
something is clearly wrong. maybe contact your hosting provider and see if they can help clue you in.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Chances are you have uploaded some large files in that directory or your web hosting is experiencing problems.
Wordpress can take up to some MBs for its files, nothing more. So yes, that's really not normal.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
something is clearly wrong. maybe contact your hosting provider and see if they can help clue you in.

Looks like I had a plugin that was backing up everyday and not deleting old backups. And each backup was over 500 mb.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
Can you configure the plugin to save the backup outside of your web structure or to save them to a dropbox or other external account? Automatic saving to an external service would allow you to get to your data should your provider have a physical damage to their datacenter. I know BackWPup does this.

Last edited:

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
I have a somewhat related follow up on this topic. I recently created a blog that has lots of pictures on each post. The pics are from our digital camera and are usually a few MB in size. When viewed in the posts the pics fit the screen fine. If you click the pic you'll get the huge version. What's best practice for pics? Should I be trying to upload smaller file sizes? Is there a plugin to shrink the pic size? My blog isn't at 10 gigs but if we're uploading multiple pics each day several times per week maybe we'll get there someday.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I have a somewhat related follow up on this topic. I recently created a blog that has lots of pictures on each post. The pics are from our digital camera and are usually a few MB in size. When viewed in the posts the pics fit the screen fine. If you click the pic you'll get the huge version. What's best practice for pics? Should I be trying to upload smaller file sizes? Is there a plugin to shrink the pic size? My blog isn't at 10 gigs but if we're uploading multiple pics each day several times per week maybe we'll get there someday.

If you have a mac you should resize the images in preview and then compress them a bit through a .jpg or .png.

There is a plugin called yahoo smushit that will get rid of some of the size too.

I usually get my images down to 800x600 then upload them.

yuranga

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Australia
Usually It is done,
but it also depends upon some factors like:
1.How much images you are using in your word press site.
2.How many videos you are uploading.
3.And Content pages.

Thanks

manueld

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009

Actually if you've looked at the backend of a wordpress site in regards to your pictures, wordpress actually creates different sizes for you and serves up the different sizes. You only really need to optimize it if you are concerned about server space.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Actually if you've looked at the backend of a wordpress site in regards to your pictures, wordpress actually creates different sizes for you and serves up the different sizes. You only really need to optimize it if you are concerned about server space.

Wordpress does optimize the images, but the yahoo smush it plugin can save a lot of disk space by deleted useless information in the pictures such as exif data etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.