Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hi all
Each time I try and uninstall glims. It keeps coming back again? as in the huge search bar instead of the address bar in safari. I have restarted my MBA so many times and safari, it briefly goes back to normal safari, then it goes back to how it was with glims.

any idea how to remove this for good?

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
hey all
i have tried all the methods listed in this thread, but still unable to install. removed all system files, for glims. also used uninstaller for glims, and when i restart safari, for a split second safari is back to normal, then it changes to the glims i.e address bar is the search bar.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
hey all
i have tried all the methods listed in this thread, but still unable to install. removed all system files, for glims. also used uninstaller for glims, and when i restart safari, for a split second safari is back to normal, then it changes to the glims i.e address bar is the search bar.
Go back to the Best way to FULLY DELETE a program instructions and try again. Be sure not to miss any step, especially step 1 (which should include Safari in this case) and steps 5-7. It will completely remove glims if you do it right. If it doesn't, you're missing something.

Last edited:

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
GGJstudios tried that too. before i didn't quit safari in the process, but done that and re-done this again, as per below but no luck. I have an appointment with genius so going to take it in today.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
GGJstudios tried that too. before i didn't quit safari in the process, but done that and re-done this again, as per below but no luck. I have an appointment with genius so going to take it in today.
Have you restarted your computer?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Use finder, search, select search system files that are INCLUDED, delete, done

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Removing Glims manually isn't recommended apparently. OP, try re-applying the Glims installer, then use the provided uninstaller.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-10 at 2.26.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-02-10 at 2.26.05 PM.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 299

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hey jolly. Tried to reinstall glims even though it's already installed and went into the glims website to use to uninstaller again same result.

I have rebooted the machine after uninstalling as I get told to do while going through the uninstaller and I also quit safari during uninstaller and tried quitting safari before going thoUgh uninstaller but no result.

It's like when I reboot the machine the address bar goes to normal for a split second before it extends itself to the glim search engine.

Anyways seeing genius in an hour see what they say. They prob end up getting me to reinstall lion os. See what happens.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
sent them an email already jolly. no guarantee for them to reply though. says something like that on the website.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
hey well the genius couldn't figure out why it was doing this either. tried to set up a separate safari folder, and also tried to re-install safari but no luck. Had to re-install Lion OS X.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Removing Glims manually isn't recommended apparently.
Regardless of what the folder is named, it's perfectly safe to remove it manually. I have successfully uninstalled glims using the manual method, with no problems at all. There's something else affecting the OP's situation.
hey well the genius couldn't figure out why it was doing this either. tried to set up a separate safari folder, and also tried to re-install safari but no luck. Had to re-install Lion OS X.
There was definitely something strange going on if you couldn't manually delete all the necessary files. Glad you got it resolved, though!

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I was simply pointing out the developer's specific block capital instructions not to do so. So you experienced no obvious adverse side effects - fair enough. But they still put that file there for a reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.