Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's share price pushed through the $500 barrier as trading opened this morning, reaching an important psychological figure. The stock price has been on a tear ever since Apple reported blowout earnings for the first fiscal quarter of 2012, rising more than $75/share, or nearly 18%, in just under three weeks.

aapl_500.jpg

Apple is now worth more than $469 billion, making it the most valuable public company in the world by a significant margin. Exxon Mobil, the second most valuable public company, is worth approximately $400 billion after a weakening in that company's price.

Apple is a long way from claiming the "most valuable publicly traded company ever" title. Among many others, Microsoft had a peak market cap of $642 billion during the dot-com boom in September 2000. That company is now worth just over $250 billion. With the reversal of fortunes, Apple is in fact now worth more than Google ($199 billion) and Microsoft ($256 billion) -- Apple's two biggest competitors -- combined.

Article Link: Apple Share Price Breaches $500, Hits All-Time High

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
And Apple's stock is still significantly undervalued. It may seem expensive at a Per-Share price, but all things considered, its relatively cheap.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Every so often, I think about buying AAPL. Every time, I don't, because it's way too much per share, and every time, I regret it later when it hits some crazy high price later on like this. I honestly think it'll keep going up, but unless they split the stock, it's going to be hard for many individual shareholders to invest.

Expect news in a few days about several big executive sell-offs as pre-planned sales at specific prices kick in automatically. Also expect idiots to say stuff like "what do they know we don't?!?" and "Apple is doomed without Jobs!" Then, expect AAPL to keep climbing without a hitch.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
wow, i keep thinking, well, now i'm too late to buy apple because it's got to be maxed out. then it freakin gains 18% in 3 weeks!!

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
This really is so awesome. Every time we hit one of these milestones, I think about how far they have come. But what really gets me excited, is about how far they can still go.

Apple has an incredibly bright future. Arguably, brighter than any other tech company. They are worth this much and they still have huge chunks of computer market share to gain. They also have entirely new platforms to conquer. It looks like ebooks are one of them, and television is next.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Watch out guys for this. There is massive shift of money from Tech to Finance as we speak. On the top of that we are at divergence for some time by looking on AAPL chart. Those indicators are never wrong is just matter of when not if we going south. And it does not matter how much money Apple keeps in banks etc.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Dang I wanted to buy their stock in 2001 but was a poor college student. My roommate must have made out like a bandit though. I convinced him to transfer several thousand of his trust fund to Apple stocks.

Though my reasoning at the time was from an article stating that the upcoming OS X would take over the PC market and remove Microsoft's dominance.

Oh well hindsight is 20/20.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I convinced my mother and my father-in-law to buy a lot at $150. I'm now 'favorite child' on BOTH sides of the family.

See? You can win at the stock market even if you don't have money to invest!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Maybe Apple should just buy Greece to rescue the rest of the market. :D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Though my reasoning at the time was from an article stating that the upcoming OS X would take over the PC market and remove Microsoft's dominance.

The funny things is, the iPad runs OS X and it is, in fact, eating into PC sales.

Of course, that's not what that author was thinking about back then and so he was really wrong...but then technically ended up being right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.