Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Does anyone know of system-wide equalizer programs to install? I'm willing to put down the cash for Boom if it's the only one, but I'd like to know of all the options I have beforehand...

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does anyone know of system-wide equalizer programs to install? I'm willing to put down the cash for Boom if it's the only one, but I'd like to know of all the options I have beforehand...
I haven't seen any others, but Boom has worked well for me.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I haven't seen any others, but Boom has worked well for me.

Another vote for Boom, with a caveat.

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but while Boom does a great job amplifying the MBP speakers, it has totally screwed up my Sound Effects. For example, on Mac Mail, I don't get my incoming alert or the Send mail "whoosh". Other sound effects are wonky, too.

An interesting phenomenon; when I am using Face Time, the Mail sound effects work fine. Boom is still activated. If I quit boom, and I turn up the volume on internal speakers, I can also hear sound effects.

I've learned to live without the sound effects, but I do miss the incoming mail alert. As I said, I don't know if this is unique to me. I have contacted the devs on a couple of occasions, but nothing has been done, which leads me to believe it is not a widespread problem. I have tried everything, short of a clean re-install of Lion. (I'm running 10.7.3)

Try Boom, you probably won't have my problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Another vote for Boom, with a caveat.

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but while Boom does a great job amplifying the MBP speakers, it has totally screwed up my Sound Effects. For example, on Mac Mail, I don't get my incoming alert or the Send mail "whoosh". Other sound effects are wonky, too.
Have you made this selection in System Preferences > Sound?
ScreenCap 9.PNG

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
That's strange. Everything works fine for me. I wonder if there's some incompatibility with Lion at work here.

For another reason, I just re-installed Lion (not clean re-intall.)

I did post this issue once before and one other person reported the same problem. I don't know what all that means. Since Boom is not, to my knowledge, a top tier app, maybe it's happening to others but just not getting a lot of reports about it. Or, perhaps, it is just one of the many life problems I experience. :( :D

It's a bafflement!:confused:

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
I am changing this thread to resolved... finally put down the money for boom. I am loving having an equalized computer... even if it doesn't actually tell me frequencies, I can get it generally how I like it ^^

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
anyone know if boom has preset options for , rock, pop, Jazz, funk, classical, voice etc like itunes and other good apps.

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Boom seems to be the best app i have found in regards to system wide eq.

is there any other options available.
would love to know.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Boom seems to be the best app i have found in regards to system wide eq.

is there any other options available.
would love to know.

Boom has just been updated with some extra presets

Version 1.7 :
6 new presets: Jazz, Rock, Pop, Acoustic, Classical, and Electronic
Some defect fixes

HiDeHo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012

I think this question has been solved, with boom eq.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.