Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apollo1111

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Does anyone with a Developer Preview know if they updated the functionality of the Archive button in the new Mail app in Mountain Lion?

They introduced the Archive button in Lion, but it annoyingly just moves the messages into a new folder it creates called /Archive, instead of actually Archiving it. This is relevant for a lot of Gmail users.

Interestingly, the Archive button has been part of the Mail app in iOS for several versions and it works perfectly. It even replaces the Trash button by default when you set up a Gmail account.

I'm hoping this kind of little consistency isn't overlooked with the integration of these features into Mountain Lion.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'm hoping this kind of little consistency isn't overlooked with the integration of these features into Mountain Lion.
Don't get your hopes up. You see that command when you right click an item in the trash can? Yeah, "Put Back" is what I'm talking about.

One day some dumbass coder removed it then I think 3 OSX versions later some other dumbass coder remembered to put it back. :eek:

Last edited:

Apollo1111

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Yeah. I'm just really hoping they make the Archive button work the same as it does in iOS, which is to say actually archive the messages for Gmail accounts.

I'm not a developer, but I hope someone files it as a bug report if the button still functions the way it does in Lion.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I think anyone with an Apple ID can post a bug report? Just go to http://bugreport.apple.com

At the very least you don't need to have a paid developer account. Since Apple seems to be keen to make as many features the same as iOS as possible then it seems like something they might pounce upon with Mountain Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.