Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
hi guys,
i bought a amd 6950 1gb for my Mac Pro.
works perfectly both under mac and bootcamp.

my question is:
flashing the 6950 to a 6970 is simple..
but its a BIOS flash?? does Bootcamp have a Bios?
as far as i know it has EFI right?

So how do you flash the card under Bootcamp?

Thanks a lot :)

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
Interesting.

Nice to see the 6950 is working for you, do you mind telling me which OS X version you are using and any mods you needed?

100Years

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
I'd be interested in this too...been toying with the idea of trying out a 6970 in my 2010 Pro running Mountain Lion DP2.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Nice to see the 6950 is working for you, do you mind telling me which OS X version you are using and any mods you needed?
at the time i was running 10.8 dev 1 i believe. Right now i am running dev 3. all is runnning well, except i dont get white apple logo boot screen. that isnt a problem for me, since i reboot like once a month :D

I'd be interested in this too...been toying with the idea of trying out a 6970 in my 2010 Pro running Mountain Lion DP2.

I'm not sure about the 6970, heard mixed results with it. I can confirm that 6950 is running fine with my Mac Pro :)

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
You flash the card in bootcamp by opening a flashing tool and flashing it.

You are mixing up computer BIOS with GPU BIOS. See "Golden Guide" in my sig to learn more.

I don't recommend flashing to 6970 because ATI Windows drivers can BSOD because of it. It's better to keep it a 6950 Device ID but unlock shaders. Like, with Radeon Bios Editor (RBE).

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
at the time i was running 10.8 dev 1 i believe. Right now i am running dev 3. all is runnning well, except i dont get white apple logo boot screen. that isnt a problem for me, since i reboot like once a month :D

I'm not sure about the 6970, heard mixed results with it. I can confirm that 6950 is running fine with my Mac Pro :)

Hi, I just tried again with latest DP3 update, and as far as I know you are the only person with a fully functioning 6950/70 in DP3.

If you have a moment can you go post at Netkas as we would be curious how your card is working while the rest of us have had a "bag of hurt" since DP2.

DP1 was great, card worked well but since has required obnoxious patches, etc.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
my question is:
flashing the 6950 to a 6970 is simple..
but its a BIOS flash?? does Bootcamp have a Bios?
as far as i know it has EFI right?

So how do you flash the card under Bootcamp?

Bootcamp has nothing to do with firmware, BIOS, or EFI. It can partition and format NTFS and has a catalogue of (old) drivers. That's it. Just FYI. Your Intel based Mac needs nothing to install or run Windows except a Windows installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.