Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I have a few options for renewing my contract with Verizon and upgrading to 4s. Are there any benefit in going through Verizon's online website and having it shipped, Verizon store, or Apple store?

Thanks

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I have a few options for renewing my contract with Verizon and upgrading to 4s. Are there any benefit in going through Verizon's online website and having it shipped, Verizon store, or Apple store?

Thanks

Go to the apple store. Apple keeps all records of what you buy there and wether it is a phone or accessories if anything goes wrong getting a replacement/repair will be far easier. I recently bought an apple accessory at Best buy, it broke, and I had a difficult time getting a replacement at the Apple store becuase I bought it somewhere else.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Will I be eligible for the 'New Every Two' $30 discount Verizon offers at the apple store?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I would buy from apple. In case of any issues they have a fairly no hassle exchange policy. Only problem is the one near me is always packed.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The only time I wouldn't recommend someone buy from Apple is when they have funky stuff going on with their wireless account.

Other than changing rate plans, Apple can't directly access or make changes to your account. So if you need an upgrade date changed, have a family plan and want to use an upgrade from one line on a different line, want to get a business discount setup, etc ... Apple can't help you with that.

I like buying from Apple because they seem to have the most selection when it comes to things like cases and accessories. Not that you couldn't buy from Verizon and then swing by the Apple Store, but why not knock out two birds with one stone if you can? :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I find Verizon to be more helpful since they are the people I have the problems with, not the device itself. I'd probably buy from Apple and then use Verizon unless I needed a replacement,

Pathfinder3

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Okinawa, JP
For me it was way more convient to go to VZW because it's right down the street as opposed to the Apple Store (few hours drive away).

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Best Buy.

Same price and you get reward zone points which equal money back for you eventually. I buy all my Apple stuff at Best Buy because of this. Very good way to get a tiny discount on Apple products even if it means having to spend that money back at Best Buy.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I personally will not go anywhere else other than an Apple store when purchasing Apple products.
Mainly I do this because the people there do know about the product. They don't have to worry about who made what, when, where, etc. They know their own products and warranties. Plus they have better records on what I purchase.

Also, it gives me a great opportunity to browse for other items I can waste my money on. :D

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Called the Apple store, apparently they don't honor the New every 2 discount. Looks like I will be heading to Verizon store.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Verizon did away with "new every two" a long time ago...

Verizon will subsidize your purchase however. That is... you purchase a $600 iPhone with a 2 year contract, and they only charge you $200 (they pay the other $400 or whatever).

But as far as "new every two" it's gone.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20028438-233.html

EDIT: I guess it does say in that article that if you had an existing NE2 plan, it would carry over:

UPDATE: We've received word from Verizon spokesperson Brenda Raney that existing customers will still be able to use their New Every Two credit for the iPhone or any device in the portfolio, but as the programs ends after January 16th, they won't be able to sign up for the New Every Two program after that. They're replacing the New Every Two system with a new upgrade program to be announced later in the year.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20028438-233.html#ixzz1nDqOSA2q

my bad... maybe you are eligible

----------

with that said, I went to Verizon to get my iPhone. They had to order it (obviously) and it was fine. A tad bumpy in the sense that they didn't have me "sign the agreement" while I was in-store so I got an email the next day that said I had to log in and "sign the agreement".

This actually worked out in my favor (or so I thought). I had originally gotten a 32gig and after doing some research and talking to friends, I changed my mind and opted for a 16gig. Too late... until I got that email. I simply signed in and "declined the agreement" and changed to a 16 gig iPhone.

Now though, wish I woulda just kept the 32.

oh well... tldr.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Verizon did away with "new every two" a long time ago...

Verizon will subsidize your purchase however. That is... you purchase a $600 iPhone with a 2 year contract, and they only charge you $200 (they pay the other $400 or whatever).

But as far as "new every two" it's gone.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20028438-233.html

EDIT: I guess it does say in that article that if you had an existing NE2 plan, it would carry over:

my bad... maybe you are eligible

----------

with that said, I went to Verizon to get my iPhone. They had to order it (obviously) and it was fine. A tad bumpy in the sense that they didn't have me "sign the agreement" while I was in-store so I got an email the next day that said I had to log in and "sign the agreement".

This actually worked out in my favor (or so I thought). I had originally gotten a 32gig and after doing some research and talking to friends, I changed my mind and opted for a 16gig. Too late... until I got that email. I simply signed in and "declined the agreement" and changed to a 16 gig iPhone.

Now though, wish I woulda just kept the 32.

oh well... tldr.

Ya, I verified with Verizon, I have a New Every 2 discount ontop of the subsidized price.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
good! Then yes, you will likely want to go to Verizon :D

they were nice to me though. Within my 14 days they replaced my iPhone for a problem it was having with no questions asked. Just be sure you go in knowing exactly what you want and don't let the salespeople push you around... they are mostly nice but they work on comission.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
do both

my .02: Buy Verizon to get your discount; go to apple store if you have any problems. Verizon store employees are a PIA, apple store employees rock. Buy applecare protection plan so your covered, apple will fix any problem you have.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
my .02: Buy Verizon to get your discount; go to apple store if you have any problems. Verizon store employees are a PIA, apple store employees rock. Buy applecare protection plan so your covered, apple will fix any problem you have.

I did buy applecare too, OP. I advise it. I don't have an apple store really close to me though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.