Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
My home button hasn't been very responsive, its quite annoying. Sometimes it works perfectly, some it doesn't respond at all. I bought my Verizon iPhone 4 as soon at it was released early Feb last year. I checked to see if I still had warranty and it said:

Valid Purchase Date: Ok
Telephone Technical Support: Expired
Repairs and Service Coverage: Expired

So I think it will cost money to get it fixed. Note, I never dropped it or anything, there's no hardware damage at all.

Should I schedule an appointment with Apple tomorrow? I've had this problem for about a month now, but since I've been incredible busy at school late Jan to early Feb with finals I haven't paid much attention to it mainly because it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

I fear that this will only get worse.

I've heard stories how people got their iPhone's replaced for free, but I think that chance is quite small for me. Also heard how it costs $130 to replace an iPhone's home button. (I hope it really isn't that much because I'm a student.)

Any tips or anything? I never made an appointment with Apple.

Thanks!

ExcelonGT

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Ive heard that the electrical contacts get out of alignment out of time. What fixed this issue for me was to turn the phone over in your hand (make sure it is caseless), and with the back of your knuckle, strike the area on the other side of the home button with some decent force. I did that once, and the homebutton unresponsive problem never returned for me

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Make an appointment at the Apple Store ASAP, your warranty expired just a few weeks ago so you might be lucky and still get a replacement. I've had one replaced out of warranty in the past for the same issue.

Obviously depends on if you get a sympathetic Genius or not.

phassat

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2010
Wow, i thought that my home button already broken since 6 months ago and this seems fix it

themagicman00

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Ive heard that the electrical contacts get out of alignment out of time. What fixed this issue for me was to turn the phone over in your hand (make sure it is caseless), and with the back of your knuckle, strike the area on the other side of the home button with some decent force. I did that once, and the homebutton unresponsive problem never returned for me

This worked like a charm! I was a little hesitant, but evidently it worked fine. thanks for the scoop.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
There was this discussion on using WD40 a long time back with some saying that solved the problem for them and people like iMore saying it should never be used. The physical workaround by ExcelonGT sounds strangely simple. I mean, if it was ultimately a connection realignment, that should be the simplest way to get things back on track. I found a post on fixing unresponsive home buttons. Hopefully if someone bumps here, that might help. http://www.igeeksblog.com/iphone-home-button-not-working/

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

Hahaha, this is an old thread, but my 4S begun to exhibit this problem, and I tried 'method' posted above.

Believe it or not, it worked.

tomtakesphotos

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013

Just worked for me! Good tip.

MattThomas08

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010

I'm resurrecting an old thread as well, but as asinine as this sounds this actually worked for me. I did the recalibration thing and it helped. I then hit the back side of my phone with my knuckle and now it's working like new.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
FWIW-

Grab a needle or pin and clean out lint from the dock connector. You may be surprised as how much lint can get in there, this could also help with home button responsiveness.

theguy126

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
ive heard that the electrical contacts get out of alignment out of time. What fixed this issue for me was to turn the phone over in your hand (make sure it is caseless), and with the back of your knuckle, strike the area on the other side of the home button with some decent force. I did that once, and the homebutton unresponsive problem never returned for me

it worked. You are a genius. This answer should be paraded across the entire internet.

Alex Popiniuc

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2015
1,5 years of frustration gone!!!

ive heard that the electrical contacts get out of alignment out of time. What fixed this issue for me was to turn the phone over in your hand (make sure it is caseless), and with the back of your knuckle, strike the area on the other side of the home button with some decent force. I did that once, and the homebutton unresponsive problem never returned for me
It's working!
So far, since knocking my iPhone 4's back, 4 out of 5 button clicks are working (if you click it like it is new). Previously it was like the button had it's own personality.
Double click is still an issue but it doesn't bother me.
If I apply more pressure on the home button, it's 10 out of 10 working.

I'm still wondering how come I didn't found this thread earlier...
Thank you ExcelonGT!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.