Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinSpoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
UK
I was really hoping this would be fixed :-(

Despite having edited the naming and sorting options on every piece of video media in my iTunes library, 3 times, I eventually gave up on fixing what seems to be quite a common problem - when I connect to home sharing on iPad via the Video app, it displays the wrong cover art for most video files (for example, I have at least 10 films with the Lord of the Rings displaying as its cover art), and as there is no text with the actual title, it's an exercise in guess work trying to find the right video file.

There are various solutions proposed around using a specific combination of fields in the 'sorting' options for each file, but every time I get it working, it just seems to revert back to a mess again not long later.

Anyway, all this was just to say, looks like it is still broken in iOS 5.1 and iTunes 10.6 :-(

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I was really hoping this would be fixed :-(

Despite having edited the naming and sorting options on every piece of video media in my iTunes library, 3 times, I eventually gave up on fixing what seems to be quite a common problem - when I connect to home sharing on iPad via the Video app, it displays the wrong cover art for most video files (for example, I have at least 10 films with the Lord of the Rings displaying as its cover art), and as there is no text with the actual title, it's an exercise in guess work trying to find the right video file.

There are various solutions proposed around using a specific combination of fields in the 'sorting' options for each file, but every time I get it working, it just seems to revert back to a mess again not long later.

Anyway, all this was just to say, looks like it is still broken in iOS 5.1 and iTunes 10.6 :-(

Same here.:(
This was something I was really hoping would get fixed.
Guess not.:mad:

bgMyKey

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
The issue is caused by the iOS device storing metadata about the content in shared library.

In iOS 5, I rarely had issues. Mostly just on my iPhone where movies would have the incorrect cover artwork, but my iPad worked without a problem.

The problem became more evident with iOS 6 and iTunes 10.7
Following this guide generally works:

http://gedblog.com/2012/07/05/fixing-home-sharings-tv-troubles/

The only thing it does not cater for is ordering of episodes in a TV Series.
You need to specify the track number for each episode to fix that, otherwise they will get displayed in alphabetical order. (Which will most likely not be the correct episode order).

If you follow the above guide and the additional step, you will probably still see the problem when you use your iPhone or iPad.
To fix it do the following:

1) Edit everything you must in your iTunes Library (on your computer)
2) Once everything is set, on your iOS device, (iPhone/iPad) sign out of Home Sharing. (Settings > Video > tap_on_apple_id_and_press_sign_out)
3) Log back into Home Sharing.

This will cause the iOS device to lose all the metadata it had stored previously and now there won't be any conflicts and your content should be displayed correctly.

The problem that I am still having is that if I change something in my iTunes Library, the metadata gets messed up on my iPad and I have to sign out and back in again to fix it. So I try to do all my editing/adding new content in big chunks at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.