Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopGear

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2002
I have an 800 Mhz G3 iBook with 640 MB RAM. I want to do some basic multi-track recording (four tracks max). What should I use?

I'm especially interested in advice from actual users with a similar rig. What's your setup? How well does it work? Problems?

Any recommendations for the simplest, quickest choice of equipment?

BTW, I'm offering Eternal Gratitude (TM) in return for the most helpful response.

Topgear

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
What's your budget and what OS are you using? Do you need to multitrack record (all at the same time) or just be able to mix multitracks? Just wondering on the last one 'cause you may need new hardware if you haven't already considered it.

TopGear

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2002
Minimal budget

I'm running 10.4.1 and loving it. I think I only need to mix multiple tracks rather than record multiple tracks simultaneously... really simple stuff, and many of these recordings would be 2-3 tracks maximum. Basically spoken word with a couple of tracks for sound effects, like "This American Life" or the great Joe Frank.

My budget is minimal -- yes, I would love a new 'book now, but I'm sticking with what I've got until next year (when those G5 PowerBooks finally come out, hahaha).

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Have you tried Garageband? It seems like it would be ideal for what you want and it's cheap. I use Ableton Live and Digital Performer but Garageband seems like an ideal program for getting started on especially if you have limited needs. Four tracks should be no problem on your machine - just don't go crazy with effects or soft-synths (won't be possible)

check out audiomidi.com for some other options. They also sell Garageband bundles (w/ interfaces)

TopGear

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2002
On a G3

Will Garageband run on a G3? (I thought not, or at least not so well.)

For an audio input, what is best? iMic? Or something else?

Any real-world advice would be appreciated. Plus there's that Eternal Gratitude (TM)...

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Like I said, you won't have much luck with soft-synths etc. but you should be able to record, mix, add fx, render or bounce down and proceed. The requirements are at the bottom of this page. http://www.apple.com/ilife/

I haven't actually run it on a g3 and I can imagine it being a little dodgy. Maybe someone else can elaborate with their experience in practice.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
TopGear said:
Will Garageband run on a G3? (I thought not, or at least not so well.)

For an audio input, what is best? iMic? Or something else?

Any real-world advice would be appreciated. Plus there's that Eternal Gratitude (TM)...
Depends what you mean by best: Decent results for the lowest possible price? yes.

Limitations of the iMic- it uses 1/8" Stereo jack for input, so you have to get adaptors for most microphones. It does not supply phantom power, equalization, compression, higher bit-rates or anything that more expensive interfaces might.

tigermuzik

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2005
Toronto, CANADA
Might wanna try this thing called a M-Audio Ozonic, its a MIDI controller & Interfact in one here's the link Its cool cuz its cheap i've seen them for about $75 CAN and the offer some good stuff like u can have a condesor mic hooked up cuz it has phantom power and u can hook up a couple dynamic mics with a XLR to 1/4" Cable or get and adapter for the ends.

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
I'd stay clear of the imic altogether. There are problems with it on the ibook that they have addressed on their website, i have one myself and it clicks and pops too often to be reliable. I have had an m-audio duo hooked up to my 600mhz g3 ibook for about 3 years and have never had a problem with it. Phantom power, mic pad, 2 channel xlr and 1/4" inputs, 2 channel 1/4" outputs, 48khz and 24 bit recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.