Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I am wanting to get my Apple certification for Hardware which includes the Hardware exam and OS X Troubleshooting exam. I see that just the exams are 150 a piece. I also found Apple offers an online training program that includes a few extras like diagnostic tools and such, that runs 299. I also found a few businesses that offer on hands classes and the exams averaging around 3800 for both classes/exams.

What route did you go to get certified? I have been working on Apple computers for a while now, and I am pretty familiar with OS X. Did you even study or train for the exam? Or did you just sign up for the exam like a BA and pass it without Apple training?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Please search this subforum. There's one large thread in here that exists for certain.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
Sorry, but I don't want to be an Apple employee, just certified for my repair business.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
I am wanting to get my Apple certification for Hardware which includes the Hardware exam and OS X Troubleshooting exam. I see that just the exams are 150 a piece. I also found Apple offers an online training program that includes a few extras like diagnostic tools and such, that runs 299. I also found a few businesses that offer on hands classes and the exams averaging around 3800 for both classes/exams.

What route did you go to get certified? I have been working on Apple computers for a while now, and I am pretty familiar with OS X. Did you even study or train for the exam? Or did you just sign up for the exam like a BA and pass it without Apple training?

There are multiple choice practice tests available, both from Apple and third parties. Unfortunately, I cannot provide links, as these tests were given to me by my boss when I was studying for the test.

If you are familiar with both the software and hardware, I would advise you to not spend unecessary cash on courses and stuff, but rather work on your own. Also, common sense gets you quite far in these tests.

One very important thing to mention: The CRT and ESD safety parts of the tests are REQUIRED 100% to pass. Even if every single answer apart from those in the tests are correct, you will still fail. If I remember correctly, there are five questions of each type. Some links to help you out:

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-become-an-apple-certified-technician/

Just holler at me if you have more questions, I currently have three Apple certifications, so I do know a bit about it. :)

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm going to be an Apple Certified System Administrator next week (this is software, not 100% sure about hardware) and I would always recommend reading the books and working on your own. In my case, out of the 6 certifications I will have for Snow Leopard, I would have had to pay almost $10,000 for the courses instead of the $250 I actually paid for the books. It's the same material... So as long as you have a basic understanding to begin with (and you have online forums to ask questions, too!) you can save both time and a tremendous amount of money by working on your own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.