Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

f1logo-150x150.jpg

Formula One's official timing apps have launched just ahead of the first race of the 2012 season, taking place this weekend in Australia.

The full-priced app, F1 2012 Timing App CP, written by Formula One partner Soft Pauer, offers live timing, tire data, race control messages, track positioning and more in real-time for the entire Grand Prix weekend, across Practice, Qualifying and the race itself.

The app is $28.99 in the US, £19.99 in the UK. It does not include any live audio or video race feeds.

f1screen.jpg

The free "lite" version skips the live timing and other real-time features in favor of news feeds from Formula One.com, session results, a race calendar, and event countdowns and notifications when a session or race begins.

The lite version of the F1 2012 Timing App is free on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

The live timing-equipped F1 2012 Timing App CP is available for $28.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Official Formula One Apps Launch Ahead of 2012 Season

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Never tried the app, but if the paid version would permit you to choose any camera live and view it, it would be quite worth it for fans.

Image picking the in car camera during a battle fight for 1st place (or 2nd place if it happens to be like Dijon 1979...)

besweeeet

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
Never tried the app, but if the paid version would permit you to choose any camera live and view it, it would be quite worth it for fans.

Image picking the in car camera during a battle fight for 1st place (or 2nd place if it happens to be like Dijon 1979...)

That's exactly what everybody wants, but it'll never come, unless we pay out the a$$ for that privilege.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
At £1 per race that's not much (especially if you're unable to watch one live - maybe abroad or not with a strong internet connection).

It would be much nicer to be able to pay per race that you want to use the app for. That would certainly be a nicer way of charging for the app and offering a discount for the subscription.

Is this actually an official app; or is it just the only one thats good and uses the correct data feeds??

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
I'm guessing the majority of US F1 fans, are watching on "dvr delay". Pretty much renders services like this useless.

Are we still only getting SD video feeds this year as well?

besweeeet

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
Is this actually an official app; or is it just the only one thats good and uses the correct data feeds??

I'm going to assume that it's the official one, as I doubt F1 would ever let something like this through unless it came from them.

----------

I'm guessing the majority of US F1 fans, are watching on "dvr delay". Pretty much renders services like this useless.

DVR delay? SPEED shows the races every time in HD, and live.

SalsaShark

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2000

Last year was the first year in true HD. Before that for a few years it was ED (standard resolution, but widescreen).

jmnikricket

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

They need to take a cue from the March Madness model :-/

SalsaShark

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2000
DVR delay? SPEED shows them live every race in HD.

Yes, he said DVR delay, not broadcast delay. East-coasters are probably only marginally-likely to watch live at 8am on a Sunday. West-coasters, decidedly less at 5am. Especially since the races tend to put you right back to sleep.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The app is cool, and I get up and watch every quali and race session live, but I'm not paying $30 for this. I'll just continue to use the live timing on their F1's website for free. Add a live feed and I'd pay $100 per season no problem.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Word of advice. If you live in the UK DO NOT BUT THIS APP. The same info is available freely on BBC's driver tracker - it runs as an mp4 stream and works fine with iOS devices.

If you own last years app you can tweak a few config files and it'll load this years data into it and work ;)

Even outside the UK you can hop onto the official f1 site and view the same info for free.

iamdouche

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
To be fair the app does have benefits. On the way back from the champions league final last year I 'watched' the entire Monaco GP utilising the gps tracker, live timing plus streaming BBC Radio 5 Live. It was one of the most enjoyable races I watched given I didn't see a single bit of footage until the following day.

Aside from that note that people who have sky sports in the uk then they can use the multi-camera options & tv streaming via the sky sports iPad app when on the move.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-sports-f1-hd-channel-launches-on-new-sky-sports-for-ipad-app

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
This is priced waaay too high, I think they would get a lot more revenue at $1.99, at that price I would buy it just to see the cars go around, but at nearly $30 I'll pass!

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
To be fair the app does have benefits. On the way back from the champions league final last year I 'watched' the entire Monaco GP utilising the gps tracker, live timing plus streaming BBC Radio 5 Live. It was one of the most enjoyable races I watched given I didn't see a single bit of footage until the following day.

Aside from that note that people who have sky sports in the uk then they can use the multi-camera options & tv streaming via the sky sports iPad app when on the move.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-sports-f1-hd-channel-launches-on-new-sky-sports-for-ipad-app

Not sure whats going on with the Sky Sports app tho. It's been missing from the AppStore completely :/

nickelt

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did I hear someone say Apptrakr??

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
With SkyGo now available for iPad/iPhone, I just don't understand why Formula1 charge so highly for this app?

We all know that reduced prices in apps create a much higher download rate!!

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I bought the app for the 2010 season and it is very cool, but since I always watch the races from my DVR, it is pretty much worthless.

I know they'll never do it because they want people watching live at 6AM so they can't FF through the public service announcements, but I wish they would add the ability to sync the app to the audio coming from the television.

nickelt

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

topmounter said:
I bought the app for the 2010 season and it is very cool, but since I always watch the races from my DVR, it is pretty much worthless.

I know they'll never do it because they want people watching live at 6AM so they can't FF through the public service announcements, but I wish they would add the ability to sync the app to the audio coming from the television.

Maybe not from audio sync but i thought you can already re-run races after the event ie start it when you watch it on dvr

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I would pay more for this if it had HD video feeds on top of the timing info! I did wake up at 7am or whatever a few times last year to catch races live, would rather still be in bed with iPad! I don't think solely using the app. and not watching HD video on TV would be very fun.

Anyone going to Austin this year? I'm thinking of heading out there for the race!

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Simply let me watch the 2012 races either live or on demand, and I will buy the app and subscription. Make them an in app purchase for the free model, it's found money for Bernie.....

Even if you could simply offer the races as a tv show on iTunes the next day or two, would be better than nothing.

Since F1 won't allow that, because I am a cable cord cutter, I will simply have to torrent the racing broadcasts again this year to watch F1.

(Indycar/CART use to have an on demand/previous races available to watch later service, but they dropped the service the last couple of years. Boo....)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.