Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outsdr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Last week, I upgraded to a 27" mid 2011 iMac. 3.4 i7 quad, 8gb RAM, AMD Radeon 6970m 2048mb. Came pre-loaded with Lion; it's updated to 10.7.3 (11D50d).

I'm having issues with fonts. At first I thought it was a problem with Suitcase Fusion 3; I'd install fonts, and some of them wouldn't be available in QuarkXpress 9, although Suitcase showed them as active and available. Then I saw the same fonts were missing in other programs (Word, InDesign, etc.)

So I removed them from Suitcase, and installed the fonts with Fontbook. Same issues. The main font package used in the office is Adobe Type Basics Opentype edition. I converted it to a true-type collection, and the problem still occurs. Oddly, some fonts in a family will work, and others will not. I even converted them to windows TT; no luck.

This same exact package is working fine on another machine running Snow Leopard. Documents created on that machine must be able to be opened on my machine, and vice-versa, without font substitutions, etc.

Any possible solutions or ideas? If worse comes to worse, is this mac capable of running Snow Leopard?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes, this Mac is capable of running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as it came with it.
You just connect your iMac in Target Disk Mode to the other Mac (if the other Mac has Firewire) and use the Snow Leopard DVD you used on that other Mac to install onto the HDD of the iMac, then start from that HDD and update it to the latest 10.6 version, and then finally boot your iMac from it. Just did something similar with a late 2011 MBP two days ago.

outsdr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Yes, this Mac is capable of running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as it came with it.
You just connect your iMac in Target Disk Mode to the other Mac (if the other Mac has Firewire) and use the Snow Leopard DVD you used on that other Mac to install onto the HDD of the iMac, then start from that HDD and update it to the latest 10.6 version, and then finally boot your iMac from it. Just did something similar with a late 2011 MBP two days ago.

I assume you mean this type of iMac came with Snow Leopard originally, as this one came with Lion already installed. This is good information, thanks.

Instead of starting up a second computer in targetted disk mode, is there any reason I can't install directly from the Snow Leopard disk?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I assume you mean this type of iMac came with Snow Leopard originally, as this one came with Lion already installed. This is good information, thanks.
Since they originally came with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, drivers for them for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard exist.

Instead of starting up a second computer in targetted disk mode, is there any reason I can't install directly from the Snow Leopard disk?
Np, as the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD does not contain drivers for 2011 Macs.

outsdr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Since they originally came with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, drivers for them for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard exist.

Np, as the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD does not contain drivers for 2011 Macs.

I see; makes sense. Thanks!

Now, hopefully the font issues can be solved, so I don't HAVE to install SL; but I appreciate you letting me know how to do so properly if it comes to that.

outsdr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
Solved

I was able to fix the problem, based on what I read in this post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1016503/

Even though that post referred to 10.6, I figured doing a permissions repair was worth a shot; so I rebooted into the recovery options, did a permissions repair, and even though there was no warnings about broken permissions, my fonts are working now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.