Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ADAADW

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Hi There

I'm very new to updating iOS software and im wondering how to do a clean install without restoring from a back up. I want to have 5.1 fresh like ive just opened the box to my 4S. Ive heard many issues in regards to battery life with using the delta update so i thought a fresh install would help with battery life. I'll be doing this on a 4S with 5.0.1 and iPad 2 with 4.3.3 pre installed. Any thoughts on if this will truly affect the battery life on either device?

Any help is appreciated!
(also i didn't see a post on this so that's why im deciding to post it)

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
Connect phone/ipad and click restore in itunes. Let it do its business and once done choose "setup as new iphone/ipad" on the startup screen

That simple :)

ADAADW

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Awesome, thanks PaulyD! I guess im just a bit aprehensive when it comes to battery life, its been great so far on both devices and i didnt want to loose it. But thanks for that

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Another option is to restore using a different PC/Mac than you usually do. After the OS is downloaded and installed, you will get a message asking if you want to sync to this computer and the warning your device is synced to another computer. Click NO (don't do the sync) and disconnect from the computer.

If you later want to sync this device, USB it to your regular iTunes/computer and then do a synch.

I have to do all iOS updates to my iPhone4 and iPad2 this way. I have to use my laptop's iTunes to install the OS because I get endless error messages when using my desktop PC and the normal iTunes. Then I sync with my usual iTunes. Kind of a PITA, but it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.