Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I'm expecting my first iPad today and will be buying a new set of headphones to go with it. What do you guys use?

P.S. I'm looking at Klipsch S4i , Beats UrBeats, and Soul sl99, so any experiences with those is much appreciated.

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
I had the Beats in-ears a while back and switched to Klipsch S4i and the quality difference is amazing. Can't go wrong with the Klipsch.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
I'm expecting my first iPad today and will be buying a new set of headphones to go with it. What do you guys use?

P.S. I'm looking at Klipsch S4i , Beats UrBeats, and Soul sl99, so any experiences with those is much appreciated.

go to head-fi.com forums for advice. But I can tell you off the bat, do not buy the beats. Overpriced, and are not very good. The Souls are good as are the Klipsch but you can find better at those price ranges.

Do you have a price range? Music preference? I can help

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

If you live near a Frys, they have the S4i on sale today for $49.99.

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
My price range is right around $100 and I'm looking for in-ear. I like all types of music including hip-hop. Good low end is important, but it needs to be balanced with the mids and highs.

I'd also prefer the inline mic and ipod controls.

Thanks for your help!

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
My price range is right around $100 and I'm looking for in-ear. I like all types of music including hip-hop. Good low end is important, but it needs to be balanced with the mids and highs.

I'd also prefer the inline mic and ipod controls.

Thanks for your help!

Based on the ones you listed, I would go for the Souls. Good lows and good balance overall for that price. If you want to spend ~$40-$50 more, I would suggest looking for Monster Turbines. The Turbine Pros have been as low as $150 on amazon before. The non-pro models are great too, but if you can get the pros, go for the Gold model (they have better bass than the coppers).

One-Call.com and jr.com are great to purchase from. One-call has name your price which they usually honor if reasonable. JR.com will also negotiate with you if you call into their sales department.

The turbines and souls are highly regarded on head-fi.com.

Mako5

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
Klipsch S4i

Ordered them and they came the same day as the iPad. I like them and I am pretty picky on my headphones. They replaced my Dr. Dre Beats and are my "beater" phones to my Etymotic 4Ps

SlvrSrfr

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
My Fry's only has the Klipsch S4A's (for Android) on sale at $49.99 and not the S4i's. However, Amazon has the S4i's on sale for $69.99 right now. If you are looking for the inline iTunes controls, someone in another thread also mentioned the SoundMAGIC E10M which have gotten very good reviews. The E10M's are not available in the U.S. yet, but I did read that they could be available by the end of the month, for around $44.95. I'm interested in the S4i's as well as the E10M's for an everyday beater pair on IEM's.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
I'm looking for a decent bluetooth headphone. Last thing I want is to yank my iPad off a table or something by having a wire running from the device to my ear (have done that with my 360 controller too many times)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.