Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brn2rnjk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
We have been using my iMac as our central iTunes server (it feeds our Sonos home stereo system). For size and other reasons, I want to move this function to a standalone unit that isn't used for other computing. I am a newbie, but has anyone set up a server in Mac invironment that isn't just buying another iMac? What do you get?

Sorry for what is going to be an easy question, but not sure what to purchase to us OS and act like an iTunes server?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use a Mac mini for that purpose. It also serves movies and TV shows via Plex, from data stored on multiple drives and computers on my network.

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
I use a Mac mini for that purpose. It also serves movies and TV shows via Plex, from data stored on multiple drives and computers on my network.

+1

They're really versatile little boxes and they hardly use any power either. Mine's primarily used as an iTunes server - I never really figured out Plex, although it does look gorgeous with some of the available skins.

brn2rnjk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
+1

They're really versatile little boxes and they hardly use any power either. Mine's primarily used as an iTunes server - I never really figured out Plex, although it does look gorgeous with some of the available skins.

Where I am confused is this. Couldn't I buy a non-Mac External HD and do this? So, I have a LaCie external HD for my Mac and it is bootable. How do you load up Mac stuff like iTunes on a blank non-mac HD,

Sorry for the stupidity of this, but I am having a senior moment.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Where I am confused is this. Couldn't I buy a non-Mac External HD and do this? So, I have a LaCie external HD for my Mac and it is bootable. How do you load up Mac stuff like iTunes on a blank non-mac HD,

Sorry for the stupidity of this, but I am having a senior moment.
BUt you would still need your Mac on to access the disk.

If you want a unit that is a iTunes server only, you need a separate computer for it. And a Mini would be the best for that.

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
What about a headless HP Microserver running Windows Home Server and Itunes.

They are cheap
Really low power
and can be run headless

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
What about a headless HP Microserver running Windows Home Server and Itunes.

They are cheap
Really low power
and can be run headless

yep.. that could do it too. Although it's not *much* cheaper than a mac mini which is also really low power and can also be run headless. :)

angle

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Michigan
Can someone describe their Mac Mini itunes server setup? I've been thinking of doing this but curious about moving files, the streaming process, and general setup (I have an Apple TV2, and TONS of movies / TV / music on external HDD's). Any info is greatly appreciated!

creeman

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
If you're looking for a simple iTunes server, you can get almost any Synology NAS. They come with iTunes servers already on them. All you need to do is buy a hard disk, put it in and plug in the NAS. It will then just show up under the shared library section in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.