Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I remuxed about 30 mkv files into m4v to put into iTunes and use with an Apple TV 3 and I'm cleaning them up with Subler. I'm using the program to put the stereo track before the AC3 track and make sure all the tracks are labeled properly. Then I optimize the file so it will stream more efficiently.

My question is, if I decide to go into the file after I finish optimizing it and add metadata or adjust something, do I need to optimize it again after saving it?

Thanks!

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
If you are just changing metadata, I don't think you have to (I do anyways to be safe). If you are adding additional tracks (ex. audio, chapter, subtitle) you should definitely run optimize again. Some of the issues people had with soft subtitle playback on the AppleTV and AppleTV v2 were resolved by optimizing the MP4.

Bymatt

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Speaking of Optimizing....

when HB gets done, I have the Video track, the ACC3 track and the AC3 track in proper order and checked, in other words enabled. The surround track is last in order and is not checked. When I optimize the file, should the surround track be checked or not. Thank you in advance.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
when HB gets done, I have the Video track, the ACC3 track and the AC3 track in proper order and checked, in other words enabled. The surround track is last in order and is not checked. When I optimize the file, should the surround track be checked or not. Thank you in advance.

You can have only one soundtrack checked. Otherwise when you go to play the movie on the ATV you will get no sound.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003

No, leave it just as HB leaves it. In Subler the aac track is first and enabled and the ac3 track is second and disabled. The Atv automagically knows to play the ac3 track its it hooked up to an ac3 DD 5.1 capable source.

Don't change anything with the tracks.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
No, leave it just as HB leaves it. In Subler the aac track is first and enabled and the ac3 track is second and disabled. The Atv automagically knows to play the ac3 track its it hooked up to an ac3 DD 5.1 capable source.

Don't change anything with the tracks.
I've been having trouble with that. I just use the Handbrake aTV2 preset.

If I set the aTV>settings>audio>Dolby Digital to Auto (or Off), it plays the first track (AAC) to the TV (through HDMI) and the Stereo (through the optical cable) and doesn't give me the audio selection choice to change to the AC3 track through the center button menu.

If I set the audio setting for DD to On, it plays the AC3 track, forcing me to use the center button to select the AAC track if I want to listen through the TV. That option isn't very popular with my wife.

The other issue I've been having with HB or the aTV is that the AAC tracks seem to have skewed audio balance, otherwise, I'd probably be content with just leaving it on AAC most times. In AAC, the music and special effects are much louder than the dialog on many programs. I haven't figured out if it has to do with the type of source, yet, but I believe it occurs with both the default Dolby Pro Logic II setting and the Stereo encode settings.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
The other issue I've been having with HB or the aTV is that the AAC tracks seem to have skewed audio balance, otherwise, I'd probably be content with just leaving it on AAC most times. In AAC, the music and special effects are much louder than the dialog on many programs. I haven't figured out if it has to do with the type of source, yet, but I believe it occurs with both the default Dolby Pro Logic II setting and the Stereo encode settings.

If your source track is AC3, try turning up the dynamic range compression for the aac track in hb.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DynRangeCompression

darthpibe

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Hi i got my files on subler also, but i want to know whats the best video converter for mac and also i want to know why apple tv sends the AAC 6ch audio to my receiver in 2ch form, i got an onkyo tx-sr 608, thanks in advance.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
... and also i want to know why apple tv sends the AAC 6ch audio to my receiver in 2ch form, i got an onkyo tx-sr 608, thanks in advance.

You may have the channels in the wrong order. For the ATV to pick-up and broadcast the 6-channel track, it must be the secondary audio track. The 2-channel track must be the primary.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Hi i got my files on subler also, but i want to know whats the best video converter for mac and also i want to know why apple tv sends the AAC 6ch audio to my receiver in 2ch form, i got an onkyo tx-sr 608, thanks in advance.

The default audio is always the 2-channel AAC track. If you want the surround sound track, hold down the select option a second or two and switch the audio track.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.